Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAD Magazine no more new content

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    But I read encyclopedias for fun too; ....
    Me too, in the early to mid 60's I read through our pre-WWII edition of Encyclopedia Britannica, so by Junior High School I was a fount of outdated information such as the major economic output of French Upper Volta.

I'm distressed by the OP's assertion (perhaps realistically) that today's satire can be found in the performances of late night TV personalities. Future generations will be poorer if that is true. MAD magazine will be remembered long after those guys are forgotten.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Me too, in the early to mid 60's I read through our pre-WWII edition of Encyclopedia Britannica, so by Junior High School I was a fount of outdated information such as the major economic output of French Upper Volta.

... .
    Yeah--the encyclopedias I grew up with were as old as the Dead Sea Scrolls. They were illustrated with etchings.

I feel immense gratitude for today's richly illustrated books. Some areas of life have improved immeasurably.

All things must pass, I guess. Mad had a huge impact on shaping my sensibilities from ages around 10-15 (which is about when Playboy took over). I devoured not only the monthly magazine but the paperback reprints from the 50s. I think it's safe to say that if you were a middle-class white boy growing up in the 50s and 60s, you couldn't escape the influence of Mad.

Adios, Superduperman, Starchie, and Star Blecch! It was a simpler time (and in many ways a better one).

My favorite features were "The Lighter Side of...." and "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions." MAD was my tween and teen companion. I got caught with it several times when I was supposed to be reading the book I was hiding it in.

I think it shaped me into the sarcastic little brat my parents grounded on a regular basis.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I was a voracious reader, and I guess my parents deserve credit for being supportive of me reading anything and everything. I'm pretty sure an 8 year-old didn't get a magazine subscription without some adult assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I was a voracious reader, and I guess my parents deserve credit for being supportive of me reading anything and everything. I'm pretty sure an 8 year-old didn't get a magazine subscription without some adult assistance.
    Haha, that is great of your parents. There wasn't any proscription against comic books or Mad
    mag in my house, but my parents funded book buying and regular trips to the library so that is mostly what I read.

On vacation our lake resort always had piles of Archie and veronica comics, so each year for a week I caught up with that crowd. As a kid I had subscriptions to Highlights and Jack and Jill, tamer options than Mad.

When I was 14 or 15 I bought a subscription to House Beautiful. Round about then I was thrilled to learn my cousin took a new job working for Metropolitan Home, my new favorite shelter magazine. I treated her like royalty! But then I learned she was just selling advertising space, so never mind cuz.

There were many shelter magazines centered in Des Moines with Meredith Corporation, so Des Moines homes were featured prominently in their pages.

Growing up we went to the library for books and could use our allowance for comic books. We all loved to read as did my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yeah, my dad was very particular about what I read. I remember my very first library visit, and all my little friends were in the kid section with Dick and Jane. He would not let me take out any picture books. I still recall my yearning.

That didn't stop me from being a big reader in the end, though, thank God (and thank the nuns who did a good job of teaching reading and thanks to all the wonderful authors out there).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, my dad was very particular about what I read. I remember my very first library visit, and all my little friends were in the kid section with Dick and Jane. He would not let me take out any picture books. I still recall my yearning. ...
    Yeah, that kind of yearning has informed my life, as well. I have plenty now of whatever I didn't get enough of as a child. Except for the chemistry and building sets I didn't get because I guess they weren't traditionally girly. Maybe it's not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah, that kind of yearning has informed my life, as well. I have plenty now of whatever I didn't get enough of as a child. Except for the chemistry and building sets I didn't get because I guess they weren't traditionally girly. Maybe it's not too late.
    My best friend, vorn in 1954, had a chemistry set. I think her adult brother was a chemist, though.He might have been responsible for that.

Thread Information