Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAD Magazine no more new content

MAD Magazine no more new content

Looks like the end of the line for MAD Magazine.

I enjoyed "Spy vs Spy". Alfred E. Neuman is indelibly stamped in my cerebral cortex... to this day I compare tykes to the cartoon image of him. And truly, when the Fit hits the Shan, I am wont to say, "What? Me Worry?"

MAD Magazine was pulp satire. Pulp, as in pulp & paper, as in printed periodicals.

Consumers of satire today can click on videos of Steven Colbert and John Oliver, among others. It's there in real time on a device. POOF.

I did read of its demise but had never got into reading it regularly. A lot of printed material is fading away.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I was part of the Mad Magazine generation. I never really liked it. I tried to like it but I thought it was pretty dumb.

Once I went for a job interview and the head honcho picked me up at the airport. The person who set up the interview via phone told me “ you’ll know him when you see him at the airport because he looks like Alfred E. Newman.” . And the man did sort of look like him.

I'll miss it. It introduced me to tentacle and tire pizza and recalcitrant plebney. Also, foldover feet and foldover covers.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'll miss it. It introduced me to tentacle and tire pizza and recalcitrant plebney. Also, foldover feet and foldover covers.
    WTH are those things. Guess I missed quite a bit.

OMG the foldover covers were always hilarious! But I'm remembering them from my teenage years and don't actually remember any specific ones so it may be that they were at a level of humor that worked for 14-16 year old boys...

MAD Magazine was forbidden fruit when I was a kid because my father wouldn't allow me to read comic books of any kind, but I would always read my friends' copies and LOVED them. I still remember some of the cartoons and comics in it that made me laugh.

So I'm a bit bummed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was so sad to hear this. MAD magazine played an enormous role in shaping my outlook on life, my sense of humor and helped to make me the woman I am today, for better or for worse. I believe I subscribed from ages 8 - 18, at which point I "graduated" to National Lampoon.

I will miss Mad. It was about pure silliness. Today’s TV clowns all seem to have an agenda. Sort of like watching your high school social studies teacher trying to be funny.

My parents were clearly neglectful--I read everything I could get my hands on from a tender age, and among my favorite reads were comics--Tarzan and Sheena, Queen of the Jungle. But I read encyclopedias for fun too; maybe that made up for it.

Thread Information