Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we stop washing our clothes?

So sorry about your horse, pony mom.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My condolences on the loss of your equine friend, pm.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So very sorry about your horse. The pads are made for people in nursing homes. You can buy new or used. They are indestructible as I have had them for 11 years.
    Pony Mom, I use these also on the back of my couch because one of my cats (going on 16) forgets himself sometimes! They are great, and as Teacher Terry said, indestructible. You just whip them off and wash them. I usually let mine line dry. I order them on ebay and the last two I bought have cuties little pictures like they are for a crib. I put a throw over them so they don't show on the couch, but all are easy to wash when needed.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

pony mom I am sorry for your loss.

I also use the nursing home bed pads for our dog. She came to us already trained to use them and it was very handy when weather was poor, we weren't feeling well, etc. We keep them down all the time for her and change them when required. We have about six so do a separate load for them about once a week.

Sad Eyed Lady thank you for your comments. I hang dry items indoors when I can't dry them outside on the line. We have put an extra rod over the center of the bathtub, between the wall and the shower curtain rod. This is where wet things can hang and if they drip it goes into the tub anyway. I also feel this topic validates things for me.

Reading this post makes me re-think my habits when it comes to laundry. Yesterday my fresh shirt got a stain on it within hours. Normally I would have changed and put it in the laundry. But this time I reconsidered and used some soap and water at the sink so the stain came out asap. I think this is an important consideration in this era and in this area where we have drought and water restrictions are in place. If we could reduce our 2.5 loads a week to 2 loads then a 20% reduction in laundry water use could be significant. Using Steve's numbers of 40 gal. a load, that would be .5 x 40 = 20 gal x 52 weeks = 1040 gal a year.

Thank you all for your words of sympathy. He was 34, I owned him for 23 years. It was a hard decision to make but I know it was the right one. It's a bit overwhelming to know that in owning a pet, you have the responsibility to end it peacefully when the time comes. It was on my mind for a few days, and in a split second I gave the OK. A short time later, it was all over, the moment I was dreading for so long.

Back to laundry------how often do you wash your towels? Mine are washed weekly. They're used when you're clean, so they're not really dirty.

Have to get those washable pads. Ugh, more laundry!

pony mom I wash my towels after a week of use for bath towels, hand towels after a couple of days, dish cloths and washcloths pretty much daily, tea towels depends on how often they are used as we usually air dry the dishes.

The washable pads are great. You can buy disposable ones for times you don't want to do the washing.

Just finished up a 2 week vacation (1 week was a cruise) with the family. First cruise for me. I decided to take just a backpack. So I took (including what I was wearing):

3 underwear
    2 bras
    3 socks
    3 pants
    1 jacket
    1 pajamas
    5 shirts

I hand washed the underwear bras socks as needed. I wore the pants several days each and the shirts 3 days each - figures I could do laundry somewhere if necessary - but it wasn’t necessary.

It amazed me actually - we just launder things after one wear at home. But then we do live in 115 degree Phoenix and this vacation was to Alaska. That makes a difference.

When getting off the cruise ship I was asked a few times if I had forgotten my luggage. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Just finished up a 2 week vacation (1 week was a cruise) with the family. First cruise for me. I decided to take just a backpack. So I took (including what I was wearing):

3 underwear
    2 bras
    3 socks
    3 pants
    1 jacket
    1 pajamas
    5 shirts

I hand washed the underwear bras socks as needed. I wore the pants several days each and the shirts 3 days each - figures I could do laundry somewhere if necessary - but it wasn’t necessary.

It amazed me actually - we just launder things after one wear at home. But then we do live in 115 degree Phoenix and this vacation was to Alaska. That makes a difference.

When getting off the cruise ship I was asked a few times if I had forgotten my luggage. Ha.
    I travel with a similar list except I had two pair of footwear - for comfort in walking and a pair for a change. I used little sockettes with the non-slips for slippers. Makes for greater ease in air or train travel with just a simple overhead with wheels.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

When I vacation I wear the same shirts over and over again. I will go an entire trip without washing my jeans or cargo shorts. Underwear and socks need washed though!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Leave your jeans alone
    Sarah Clayton, head of the Love Your Clothes campaign by environmental charity Wrap, also suggests not washing your jeans, but airing them between wears instead: "If they have a stain you could try spot-cleaning them with water rather than washing the whole garment."

Letting your jeans fester unwashed may sound a bit unsavoury, but one man in the know swears by it - Chip Bergh, the CEO of Levi's.
    I put my jeans in a plastic bag (dedicated for this) and stick them in the freezer for 24 hours until I need them again. it kills any odors. Sometimes I steam them instead. I wear them once a week.

ETA: I have not read this whole thread so this part may be redundant: Wellness Mama blog had an article about this, where she said her son did a project on ocean pollution and he told her most of it was plastic and was composed of tiny, tiny bits of plastic from polyester and nylon clothes. She linked to Guppybags which you put your clothes in to wash, and they will filter the water. When you take the clothes out and examine the seams of the bag you will find tiny bits of plastic. Every time you wash synthetics tiny pieces break off. Ordinary laundry garment bags do not filter finely enough. here is the link: http://guppyfriend.com/en/ site also has a link explaining more of this.
    Last edited by tiranda; 7-13-19 at 8:58pm.

Thread Information