Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: July Frugals!

I was actually in need of a few summer tops (it hit 99 yesterday). I got 3 for $9.95 each. Super happy. I got 2 more for $15 each. In this heat tops don't get a 2nd wear day d/t sweaty/smelly. I have 3 t-shirts as well, so I can still do minimal laundry loads.

Frugal lesson for me: I didn't plant basil this spring, and I've had to buy basil that was pretty sorry from the grocery store twice recently, for the price of $2.69/bunch. The basil I bought Friday was so sad I had to throw it away unused on Sat, so nothing frugal about that!
    I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and bought a beautiful robust basil plant for $3.99. It gave me plenty for my recipe yesterday, but I plan to nurture the plant and it will hopefully keep me in basil for the rest of the season. Will have to remember not to skip the basil next spring!
    BTW: the recipe was something I was bringing to a cookout, and it is mini capreses on a stick. You thread a grape tomato, basil leaf and tiny mozzarella ball on a toothpick, and drizzle olive oil, add salt and pepper and balsamic if you wish. They are cute, easy and delicious!

I’ve been doing better at using and putting up the CSA veggies.

We’ve been eating a lot of cold soups, zucchini last night. Second time I’ve made this, and it’s just about where I want it to be. Also putting aside food in the freezer: zucchini soup base, veggie casserole, veggies to be cooked in a pie with rice, etc. what drove me week before last was knowing spinach would be unavailable soon. This week it was zucchini and summer squash.

We’ve been blowing our food budget too. One big problem is bread, because who wants to bake in the midst of a heat wave? I talked about, but we didn’t manage, to freeze about 6 mini loaves, before the heat of summer. That’s next year’s plan!

We had had stir fry this past week and I made a double batch of rice. We ate part of the 2nd batch in a salad with fresh peas. Peas are another thing I need to get set aside, ASAP. And I need to make carrot pancakes sometime soon too, there’s 2 bunches of carrots languishing in the fridge.

My little freezer is already stuffed and it isn’t even the end of July yet! The convertible unit is supposed to be switched back from fridge to freezer at the end of August, I wonder if we’ll make it? One job I need to do is ruthlessly go through the freezer, yet again...

We came in under budget on groceries again this week. I've resumed a practice that I think makes a difference, which is to calculate a rough total of what the items on my list will cost. That gives me a clearer sense of how much wiggle room we have if we see other items we want when we're at the store.
    Given the heat wave, we also realistically meal planned for sandwiches and salads this weekend.

I am going to the beach with a friend today. Last time I covered our excursion cost so she is paying today. So far I am on budget for the month, but I may push an A/C fueled bigger than normal electric bill that hasn't come in the mail yet to next month. It is due August 12th.
    Last edited by Yppej; 7-22-19 at 6:31pm.

If you have a garden, you might have volunteer lambs quarters (goosefoot), Chenopodium album

The linked article says the young leaves can be included in a green salad. I prefer leaves and small stems steamed, as a side dish.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/...b_quarters.htm

Another freebie is purslane Portulaca oleracea

Linked recipe is for steamed purslane. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Steamed-Purslane-2492390

Caution: make sure you are harvesting purslane and NOT "Hairy Stemmed Spurge" Euphorbia vermiculata which is poisonous.

My bank is being sold to a bank that is less consumer friendly. I am researching other options.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Another freebie is purslane Portulaca oleracea

Linked recipe is for steamed purslane. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Steamed-Purslane-2492390

Caution: make sure you are harvesting purslane and NOT "Hairy Stemmed Spurge" Euphorbia vermiculata which is poisonous.
    I have nibbled at some of these free edibles, but never actually incorporated into our diets in any meaningful way. Have you? I think wood sorrel is another readily available edible.

Other than milk, fruit and cooking staples, I've purchased no food this month. Our CSA is full and large for 2 people.

I'm watching the freezer carefully. The garden really hasn't set on any food as of yet so I figure we are 5weeks away from beginning the harvest and the need to start preserving.

Thread Information