Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver, Now

Denver, Now

….. Your Canada Goose is cooked!

In the morning hours in Denver parks, city employees round up flightless (shh, they are moulting!) Canada Geese. According to the Denver Post they drive away with hundreds of geese, but leave a few dozen behind.

Somehow, (no one will say how) either by gunshot, injection, or gas, the geese are slaughtered. USDA inspectors determine whether a given goose is safe for human consumption. The good carcasses are donated to charities which will distribute the meat to "needy families". Thus, Denver's goose is now "cooked".

The resident population of Canada Geese in Denver is 5,000. Parks have problems with poop and "human-wildlife conflict". Many non-lethal procedures have been tried, such as relocating birds to other counties … but nobody wants any more Canada Geese. The goal of these lethal roundups is to reduce the resident population to 2,200.

Not everyone in Denver approves. Parks managers have received threats by voicemail and on the internet.

Looking back, in the late 1950's the great State of Colorado introduced Canada Geese to the Front Range, as a new game bird for hunters. One may say the goal has been achieved, inasmuch as 100,000 geese were harvested by hunters in 2017. Some of the Canada Geese flew into Denver parks and decided to stay... and multiply!
    Last edited by dado potato; 7-9-19 at 6:33pm.

or Boulder later?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Personally, I favor Prague, but San Francisco as a second.

Kraków

Sorry, my friends,
    I stuttered, and perhaps you wondered what the hell I was trying to say.

Canada Geese are a national security threat. They fly over the border and have anchor goslings so they can't be sent back. They refuse to learn English, and they live like animals. They don't even bother to look for work--why should they? Every lawn in America is a giant salad bar to them.

Sure, this is a national of migratory birds, but why Canada? Why not Norway?

BTW, did you know that 90% of the population of Canada lives within 100 miles of the US border? Coincidence? Don't be naive!

Yppej
    Do you think if we start caging them they will stop coming? Or is this whole deterrence idea for the birds?

One one hand, it does seem like a sustainable grass fed food source.

I live in Denver and the goose population is huge. It stops traffic near city park. Not sure how I feel about this. Even being vegetarian doesn't automatically make me think it is wrong. There are no natural predators to keep the population in check.

Canada Geese are prolific breeders and so messy. They should be harvested as they are invaders - especially with climate change, they live in so many places year-round raiding farmers' fields eating their crops which perpetuates the problem. They are a good food source which is why they were brought there in the first place.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information