Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linkedin

Linkedin

Apparently there are people who follow linkedin as closely/often as I follow facebook. My new employer put out a press release about my hire yesterday. I didn't think anything of it. Last night I forgot to put my phone on do not disturb. (of all the nights to forget that...) Starting at 6:00 this morning my phone began buzzing every few minutes with notifications from people congratulating me because the article about it in Insurance Journal was in their feed.

It appears that I'm the only person in insurance who doesn't obsess about industry news. And also the only one who doesn't typically get up and start working at 6:00 every morning... Is this normal and I'm just out of touch? On the plus side the press release achieved its goal. My new employer looks like a heavy hitter and is getting attention for a major strategic initiative. Now I just need to figure out how to turn this publicity splash into success for both me and my employer by writing some new business. Woohoo.

Good for you jp!

Thanks IL. Putting phone on do not disturb now so that i can recover from last night’s aborted sleep.

I got my most recent job through LinkedIn. It’s like anything else: you been to separate the useful stuff from the fluff.

That's great!

As for LinkedIn, I don't follow it, and I don't post on it. My philosophy is, if I'm doing fine in my business without risking shooting myself in the foot with a poorly written post, I'll avoid the risk.

However, I did get a request for a gig just yesterday from a former colleague who tracked me down on LinkedIn.
    Last edited by catherine; 7-10-19 at 2:59pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

From a person who is no longer working, I find it next to useless. I try to maintain a presence and add to connections maybe hoping it will help people I have know find work. For someone looking to network for jobs or other paying work, it does seem like a useful tool. I did not know that people were obsessed about it as Facebook, which I also don't use.

I have tried to unsubscribe from it for years without success. Is there a foolproof way to do this? Michaels Craft store is the same. Cannot get off it either so have switched these emails to the 'junk' file.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

When I'm ready to retire in ten years I will either quit it or just junk email everything that comes from it. I already find it boring and can't imagine being more interested after I retire...

I've never posted anything to it the way I do on facebook. Only updated my job status when I've taken on new responsibilities or whatever. I suppose I need to do that again now that the whole world knows that I'm no longer working for mega-corp thanks to the article in Insurance Journal.

I've found it the most useless job site as well, every job board I've had better luck than linked in, most of their job ads seem obsolete frankly. But it's expected to have a linked in account, so I do it. I don't do any other social media, sometimes I read something on twitter.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I am on it until I retire. Other social media does not interest me anymore.

Thread Information