Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Disneyland fight

I have been to both as a adult and it was lots of fun. I loved Minnie Mouse’s house. If I had grandchildren I would take them.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I think there may be an trend toward a sort of new Puritanism in this country, especially on the left, that has a real problem with other people’s fun.
    Dude. Seriously. Look at how the Right Wing has policed the bedrooms of people for decades and decades.

I have been to Disneyworld multiple times on business (my company holds a HUGE conference there). I'd always assumed it was the sort of place that would be interesting to see once, and I was right. I went to the free evening at the park the first two times I was there, but after that took a pass. It's basically a very heavily hyped amusement park.

I think there may be an trend toward a sort of new Puritanism in this country, especially on the left, that has a real problem with other people’s fun.
    LOL. PJ O'Rourke once said that when he was young he took drugs because they were fun. After he became a Republican, he gave them up, not because he became anti-drug, but because he became anti-fun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    LOL. PJ O'Rourke once said that when he was young he took drugs because they were fun. After he became a Republican, he gave them up, not because he became anti-drug, but because he became anti-fun.
    LOL!

I am a liberal and I am mostly anti-fun, except with it comes to sex. Then I says whatever consenting adults do is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Dude. Seriously. Look at how the Right Wing has policed the bedrooms of people for decades and decades.
    If this was 1985, I might be inclined to agree with you, but times have changed. When I look at the people judging and trying to police the behavior and ideas of others, they seem to be predominantly on the left. People calling others out for wrong thinking or insensitive speech. The disapprovers of cultural appropriation in art, fashion or cuisine. The people mining wicked utterances many years into the past that must be punished. The mob actions against heterodox speakers. The iconoclastic attacks on art associated with the sins of the past. Call out culture. Cancel culture. AOC questioning whether having children is “OK”. The great Portland anti-fluoridation crusade. I think today’s Bluenoses are for the most part blue voters.

If this was 1985, I might be inclined to agree with you, but times have changed.
    I still think that the Right Wing is in a huff about gays doing gay stuff and sluts doing slutty stuff. But the Left still celebrates gayness and slutty fun.

When I look at the people judging and trying to police the behavior and ideas of others, they seem to be predominantly on the left.
    Yeah, you are probably right.

People calling others out for wrong thinking or insensitive speech.
    I also dislike this.

The disapprovers of cultural appropriation in art, fashion or cuisine.
    Mix it up, I says!

The people mining wicked utterances many years into the past that must be punished.
    This is rather screwed up. Some young people do dumb stuff and quietly make amends, or at least see the err of their ways and stop doing it.

The mob actions against heterodox speakers.
    Super annoying. Agreed.

The iconoclastic attacks on art associated with the sins of the past.
    Also mostly annoying.

Call out culture.
    I absolutely hate that.

Cancel culture.
    Can't stand this either.

AOC questioning whether having children is “OK”.
    I am on board with her about this one! LOL

The great Portland anti-fluoridation crusade.
    I am no big fan of flouridation. That said, I don't know much about it. My bigger concern in Portland is the Antifa crazies.

I think today’s Bluenoses are for the most part blue voters.
    There is blue on a lot of noses.

There is plenty of puritanism on all sides, they just differ on what it's about. If there wasn't there wouldn't be so much judgement but there is (and noone can say the right isn't judgemental). And then there is plenty of the opposite as well.

But then what's wrong with puritanism? (well maybe being a bit judgemental) No, I really don't care about anyone's sex life, that would be more *prurient* than anything. But never mind that, even asceticism is a more complex and interesting a philosophy than is usually assumed and I think is closer in connotation to what talking about.

As for Disneyland/Disneyworld the target market is people with kids so it's not UL. But yea not my thing, and it's also very expensive.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 7-11-19 at 12:54am.
    Trees don't grow on money

I actually sort of agree with LDAHL. Not about the fun stuff. People on the left are more into fun, and people on the right are more into judgy stuff. But he's right that people on the left can be assholes towards people on the right, or even towards people on the left. Ultralight has probably experienced this too, but I've had people somewhere on the Q end of the LGBTQ spectrum call me out for not using the right pronoun or whatever in an ever changing landscape of pronoun-appropriateness. As someone who is ON the LGBTQ-whatever spectrum I am comfortable saying "you're being a dick. shut the eff up." Plenty of cis het people are probably not comfortable doing that and instead decide that LGBTQ people are assholes.

It’s not just about sex so much as the greater universe of fun. Although I do find it odd to hear people want to think of the voters who put Trump into office as a pack of prudes. From what I’ve seen, slut-shaming pretty much had it’s heyday back in the nineties.

I have been lectured both in print and in person by folks objecting to golf, private schools, cars, the flag, pronouns, cheeseburgers and movies/TV. And the moralizing isn’t coming for the most part from the right.

Thread Information