Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Disneyland fight

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think that's why I like reading about Walt Disney. His fantasy world was an alchemy of many things: An ability to create lovable creatures, adapt age-old stories and fairy tales with modern story lines, demand an extremely high level of technical and cinematic perfection, and a execute a genius marketing ability based on great intuition and leadership skill and a knowledge of how to parlay his property into sales and merchandising.

He created a whole world that millions of children feel at home in. And each generation keeps it going by way if its own nostalgia. "My" Disney movie is Cinderella; my daughter's Disney movie is The Little Mermaid.

And then there are all the live action family-friendly movies Disney created.

They may not be for you, UL, but many people enjoy the type of fantasy Disney created. I have Bambi lines embedded in my brain. I spent hours in front of the black-and-white Mouseteer TV show. He's as much as a cultural icon as the Yankees, Mom and apple pie.

Hmmmm... interesting.

I did see Bambi at a drive-in theater when I was a little kid. I think I saw it, maybe I fell asleep. I am not sure how the story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Hmmmm... interesting.

I did see Bambi at a drive-in theater when I was a little kid. I think I saw it, maybe I fell asleep. I am not sure how the story goes.
    Well, Mad Max and Married with Children don't do anything for me, so to each his own.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Disney movies are delightful, imaginative fun for the entire family. My kids were raised on them. Movies that kids love but adults enjoy too. The stuff you watched as a kid UL my kids weren’t allowed to watch until age 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Disney movies are delightful, imaginative fun for the entire family.
    Why are they delightful? What makes them appropriate for the entire family?

My kids were raised on them.
    What kinds of messages do Disney movies send to kids?

Movies that kids love but adults enjoy too.
    Woody Allen once said: "Steven Spielberg said he makes movies he would have enjoyed as a child. I make movies I will enjoy as an adult."

I give a little side-eye to adults who like children's movies or books. I think it is a symptom of the infantilization of the American mind.

The stuff you watched as a kid UL my kids weren’t allowed to watch until age 13.
    My parents were not big on censorship, though when I was very little they did not allow me to watch movies full of what they called "senseless violence," Freddie Kruger and stuff like that, slasher films.

They let me watch Hair when I was probably 10 years old. To this day it is the only musical I really like!

The stuff you watched as a kid UL my kids weren’t allowed to watch until age 13.
    Why wouldn't you let you kids watch Nova or Nature until they were in their teens? Why are those objectionable?

I didn’t mean Nova or nature. I meant married with children and mad max.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I give a little side-eye to adults who like children's movies or books. I think it is a symptom of the infantilization of the American mind.
    I think there’s an element of you-had-to-be-there to it. There’s a certain pleasure to seeing something through your kid’s eyes that’s difficult to describe. Would I have given Harry Potter or Percy Jackson the time of day if not for the kid? Doubtful. But reading or watching them with my kid has been, at the risk of sounding sentimental, priceless.

Although I do think you have a point about adult fanpersons who get really involved in YA or children’s entertainment for it’s own sake. The Bronies, and other dressers-up. Someone should tell them to look before you LARP. Not that I would lecture or nerd-shame them about it.

Thread Information