Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Disneyland fight

So I have had this type of problem in front of a school I worked at, bad that it was in front of the preschool classrooms. Not sure it is related to Disney

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I have been lectured both in print and in person by folks objecting to golf, private schools, cars, the flag, pronouns, cheeseburgers and movies/TV. And the moralizing isn’t coming for the most part from the right.
    So if not golf, private schools, the flag, pronouns, cheeseburgers, or movies/TV, then what sorts of things or endeavors should be examined under the critical eye regarding their morality? Anything? Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s not just about sex so much as the greater universe of fun. Although I do find it odd to hear people want to think of the voters who put Trump into office as a pack of prudes. From what I’ve seen, slut-shaming pretty much had it’s heyday back in the nineties.

I have been lectured both in print and in person by folks objecting to golf, private schools, cars, the flag, pronouns, cheeseburgers and movies/TV. And the moralizing isn’t coming for the most part from the right.
    Since when are golf, private schools, cars, the flag, pronouns, and cheeseburgers fun? I'll concede that SOMETIMES movies and TV are fun. But not often. And I'll admit that cars can be fun, if you're looking at vintage ones, or taking a road trip.

So maybe the left just has a different idea of fun than the right.

As for Disneyworld, we did it with the kids once in FL and we went once to Disneyland in Anaheim. It was fun enough. I think reading the case study of Walt Disney's success is fun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Since when are golf, private schools, cars, the flag, pronouns, and cheeseburgers fun? I'll concede that SOMETIMES movies and TV are fun. But not often. And I'll admit that cars can be fun, if you're looking at vintage ones, or taking a road trip.

So maybe the left just has a different idea of fun than the right.

As for Disneyworld, we did it with the kids once in FL and we went once to Disneyland in Anaheim. It was fun enough. I think reading the case study of Walt Disney's success is fun.
    I find cheeseburgers fun, but I enjoy eating flavorful food. I found Disneyland fun, but that might have been due to psychedelics (which I found fun in their time). It's a well-run park, that's for sure.

So if not golf, private schools, the flag, pronouns, cheeseburgers, or movies/TV, then what sorts of things or endeavors should be examined under the critical eye regarding their morality? Anything? Nothing?
    if you are a conservative, collecting food stamps to eat. I'd take getting lectured about recycling or something any day ...

Both may lecture, conservatives will lecture people about things they don't even have control over though.

But I don't see anything political as fun really (at best somewhat interesting, but what's fun go to do with it?)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have been to both as a adult and it was lots of fun. I loved Minnie Mouse’s house. If I had grandchildren I would take them.
    I LOVE Disneyland! Went several times as a kid. Took my husband in 1992 on our 1st not-camping vacation. We were 31yo kids! We had a terrific time.

I'm grateful I did not grow up in a screaming family. I'm sad for the kids who had to step away from the screaming match. My brother married a screamer.....their daughter screams at their kids. It's heartbreaking to me.

No snark here, a real question. What is appealing about Disney movies/land/world/merch?

I don't understand it.

This is something that was discussed thoroughly one day at work. My colleagues all love Disney, as do their parents. Or if they have kids they raised their kids to love Disney.

My dad and mom did not show me Disney movies when I was a kid. I was raised on movies like Mad Max and The Omega Man and the TV shows I watched were Star Trek, Nova, Nature, and Married With Children.

Maybe I don't like Disney because I was not raised on it since infancy?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    if you are a conservative, collecting food stamps to eat. I'd take getting lectured about recycling or something any day ...

Both may lecture, conservatives will lecture people about things they don't even have control over though.

But I don't see anything political as fun really (at best somewhat interesting, but what's fun go to do with it?)

My point is that some stuff that people think is fun needs to be critiqued -- even policed -- such as dog fighting or cock fighting or rapping about bitches and hoes.

I think that's why I like reading about Walt Disney. His fantasy world was an alchemy of many things: An ability to create lovable creatures, adapt age-old stories and fairy tales with modern story lines, demand an extremely high level of technical and cinematic perfection, and a execute a genius marketing ability based on great intuition and leadership skill and a knowledge of how to parlay his property into sales and merchandising.

He created a whole world that millions of children feel at home in. And each generation keeps it going by way if its own nostalgia. "My" Disney movie is Cinderella; my daughter's Disney movie is The Little Mermaid.

And then there are all the live action family-friendly movies Disney created.

They may not be for you, UL, but many people enjoy the type of fantasy Disney created. I have Bambi lines embedded in my brain. I spent hours in front of the black-and-white Mouseteer TV show. He's as much as a cultural icon as the Yankees, Mom and apple pie.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What is appealing about Disney movies/land/world/merch?
    I've only been exposed to Disney as an adult- other than being traumatized by Bambi when I was 5.

I appreciate the engineering involved at Disneyworld in creating a seamless world. At one job, Disney was a customer and I got to visit their data center which was AMAZING.

My mother likes the perfect-ness. The grounds are impeccable, it feels safe to her. Lots of flowers, no trash. Plus, she didn't really have a childhood so for her this is a way to enjoy one (she was a refugee in WWII).

Thread Information