Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to take some time off

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I don't believe you.
    It is notoriously difficult to get on to ssdi. But there sure are a lot of people who are on it and I always wonder what did you do to get on this program because I keep hearing how hard it is.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The
    It is notoriously difficult to get on to ssdi. But there sure are a lot of people who are on it and I always wonder what did you do to get on this program because I keep hearing how hard it is.
    Well, there are approximately 300 Americans on SSDI according to the government's own reports. So maybe it is nearly impossible to get on SSDI! Wow... 300... that is 0.1% of the US population.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Well, there are approximately 300 Americans on SSDI according to the government's own reports. So maybe it is nearly impossible to get on SSDI! Wow... 300... that is 0.1% of the US population.
    I don't believe you.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/currentpay.cgi

8.475 million! Dang! Proved you wrong.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't believe you.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/currentpay.cgi

8.475 million! Dang! Proved you wrong.
    That is exactly what I was waiting for. If this was volley ball I set you up for a spike.

It also pays very little, the average payment is about $1230 a month it seems, maybe less, although it is on one's Social Security information. So yea I can see not wanting to quit a job for that.
    Trees don't grow on money

APN, yes it’s based on your earnings and is often not enough to live on. If you are terminal or blind you will qualify the first time you apply.

I think SSDI ought to pay a lot more. And there should be fewer barriers to getting it!

The person I knew who qualified (after three years and hiring an attorney) had crippling osteoarthritis. bipolar disorder, and a constellation of other problems. Since they couldn't work, they got much less "back pay" than they would have had they been able to.

Jane, if you obtain SSDI after being denied they have to back pay you the amount you would have gotten had you initially been approved. They don’t back pay your actual wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jane, if you obtain SSDI after being denied they have to back pay you the amount you would have gotten had you initially been approved. They don’t back pay your actual wages.
    That's why I put back pay in quotes. I don't remember the particulars, only that they didn't get the money they were expecting because they hadn't been able to work. If they had gotten SSDI when they first applied, they would have, but because of the lengthy delay, they spent down much of their savings. Thankfully, they had some.

Thread Information