Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Things

Yppej

Old Things

For IL's husband it's old canned fruit. This summer I have been using leftover sunscreen from my son's summer camp a dozen or more years ago.

What are you doing to use it up, wear it out , or make it do? Do without might be another thread.

Great thread.

My car is 12 years old, and I have no intention of replacing it. I'm turning into my mother in law, who got to the point where she hated driving the car and putting miles on it because she wanted to make it last. it's easier to keep the miles down in NJ where everything is pretty close by, but if I can get by with either not driving the car during the day, or just driving to the local supermarket a mile away for gas or food or the post office, I'm happy. I had to drive off the island 3 days this past week, and it annoyed me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There are my 32-year old washer and dryer, my forty-plus year old coffee maker and spice grinder...All still perfectly functional.

We have a Panasonic pedestal fan that is somewhere between 30 - 34 years old. It's starting to get a little quirky, so we're realizing it might not last forever. New fans don't always make it to the one-year warranty date though, so we've really gotten a good run for our money.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For IL's husband it's old canned fruit. This summer I have been using leftover sunscreen from my son's summer camp a dozen or more years ago.

What are you doing to use it up, wear it out , or make it do? Do without might be another thread.
    I am pretty intrepid about using things after their expiration dates, but it is my understanding that sunscreen becomes ineffective after a certain point, so you might want to google expired sunscreen and make sure your decision to use it isn't risking your health.

A couple or few years ago at an online past season shirt sale I bought a shirt that was just my style and more than I would pay full price for. I liked the first one so much I ordered three more, but at the bargain price only one color was available. I just wore out the third and opened the fourth from the packaging.

Our cars are 11 and 9 years old with low miles. Our friends have newer cars with all the new features but we intend to drive these forever. We never replace appliances until they die.

I like worn-in old blue jeans and baseball caps. I just keep wearing and wearing them.

I still use my dad's old toaster from his college years. Probably circa 1945. The only drawback is you can't toast bagels int it, as the slots are not wide enough! Design-wise, it has so much personality!

Yppej
    The sunscreen still works. If I miss a spot I burn there but everywhere else I am fine.

Thread Information