Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Drinking the Kool-Aid and buying a smart phone.

My wife and I had first generation iPad's a year or so before moving from Blackberry's to iPhones. I remember referring to my new iPhone 4 as a mini iPad with a phone built in. Very intuitive!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My wife and I had first generation iPad's a year or so before moving from Blackberry's to iPhones. I remember referring to my new iPhone 4 as a mini iPad with a phone built in. Very intuitive!
    I have two IPad mini tablets and use the h.ll out of them. Their battery power is awesome in longevity. The time it takes to power up their battery is short. Awesome. Intuitive to use. Combining web browser and search engine in Safari is just so user friendly.

I don’t want to use a bigger iPad because I don’t want to become accustomed to a bigger screen. I stream everything onto these iPads, I seldom watch a TV anymore. I do all email and all communication through these iPads except the rare occasion when I have to use a voice mobile device then I have to use the stupid phone. It is “stupid “because the screen is so small.

I had resisted an iPhone for many years, but once I got one, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. It's so many tools in one: phone, calendar, gps, internet, portable audio book and music player, etc... The list goes on.

Life with a smart phone vs. life without a smart phone.

Both have there pros and cons.

I am going to give it a year and then reassess which lifestyle I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would say that's a very fair test.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The problem for me of getting rid of smartphone, and I have thought about it, is that they seem almost a necessity when traveling, especially when traveling alone.

I've only had a smart phone for about 2 years or so. I was a really reluctant adopter, but I was getting a bit concerned about letting this technology pass me by, since it was pretty clear that smart phones were not going away. I have since decided that it's a useful tool. I don't play with it or use it to entertain myself. I use it for the occasional call or text, camera, directions, or to lookup info. I think my real concern was the risk of becoming smartphone-obsessed, and I don't seem to have a problem in avoiding that.

I think my real concern was the risk of becoming smartphone-obsessed, and I don't seem to have a problem in avoiding that.
    Me too. I didn't want to be one of those zombies with their face in their phone walking into people/walls/traffic. I find not loading much in the way of apps, and making sure I have notifications set to off for the ones I do have, helps a great deal. I am able to do this because I have lots of apps on my tablet, but that is used with intention when I am home, I don't bring it out and about. I will often see a group of people together in public/at a restaurant/concert and every person has their head down on their phone. What is the point of getting together with people and doing things?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Life with a smart phone vs. life without a smart phone.

Both have there pros and cons.

If you don’t want to have the smartphone, at least get a prepaid cell phone for when you’re driving. It’s actually foolish not to have one for emergencies.

I almost never use my smart phone, but I plan to use it tomorrow to listen to internet stations while I run errands. Otherwise, it's the "burner phone" for me. I do use my tablet every day, but my laptop gets the most use.

Thread Information