Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: facinng the yarn and fabric

facinng the yarn and fabric

Oh dear lord,

My roommate is out of town for the week and the dog went to a friend's house so I have some extra space. It is time to get into the yarn and fabric stores and try to find a way to manage this better. I keep getting good deals (like a whole bag of assorted white yarns at the thrift store for my clouds) and then each storage type gets filled up and I end up with a mish mash. I have about 4 skeins of different reds and i rarely use red for example. I don't think I have the right space for a wonderfully organized system since I rent a room. Still I would love to improve this!

Right now I am gathering every bit of yarn and fabric and organizing them on the couch. Wish me luck

Can you store in bins under your bed?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Right now I have 2 bins under my bed, a 3 drawer bin, 2 large tote bags with ongoing projects, 2 more plastic bins, an extra large suitcase that is my travel teaching kit, and a couple more cardboard boxes. I think there is some in the glove compartment of the car, .....

Then there is fabric and sewing equipment.

Do you have too much? I have some yarn in shallow bins and a sewing room with fabric, all of which I am trying to use up but more room than you do in one room.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Noooooo! There cannot be too much yarn!!!!! The best would be to organize it a lot in my storage unit but that is too far away.

I am expanding the yarn/crochet thing so I do need to keep what I have.

Do you have closet space? I feel like I remember that you keep your clothes pretty simple. Is there room for one of those hanging sweater shelf things that would let you stick the yarn in end-on and see everything you have?

I think the big thing to accept is that I won't have all my yarn in one organized space. It is just too much with my space limits. So lots of good ideas, but I would nee a studio to get it all in one room.

It is a good thing to organize your craft stuff once a year. I do that for flower show supplies. When I put my hands on my stuff, it helps to reinforce in my mind what I own. I am more likely to use the stuff when it is lodged in my brain inventory.

That is a good point IL, I am getting more focused on projects i haven't worked on in awhile and getting new ideas for what supplies I have. Today at my class one of the students bought one of my class examples and is going to promote me on facebook.

Update, my roommate is home tomorrow evening and I finally really got into this project. The biggest thing was getting 2 gallon ziploc for my unfinished projects. Wow there were a lot!! But now they are all bagged with the correct hook and prepared to be worked on.

I have 8 banker's boxes. 2 are unfinished projects, there is a bulky one, acrylic full skeins, 2 acrylic smaller balls, one fabric one finished projects and one fabric and sewing. Then 2 smaller moving boxes I got for consistent size of very fine yarn and one of cotton. I also have 2 underbed boxes of yarn and finished projects that I bring to class. This has cleaned out my large suitcase that I bring to class, and I am not sure exactly where I am going to put it all!!

Thread Information