Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: facinng the yarn and fabric

facinng the yarn and fabric

Oh dear lord,

My roommate is out of town for the week and the dog went to a friend's house so I have some extra space. It is time to get into the yarn and fabric stores and try to find a way to manage this better. I keep getting good deals (like a whole bag of assorted white yarns at the thrift store for my clouds) and then each storage type gets filled up and I end up with a mish mash. I have about 4 skeins of different reds and i rarely use red for example. I don't think I have the right space for a wonderfully organized system since I rent a room. Still I would love to improve this!

Right now I am gathering every bit of yarn and fabric and organizing them on the couch. Wish me luck

Can you store in bins under your bed?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Right now I have 2 bins under my bed, a 3 drawer bin, 2 large tote bags with ongoing projects, 2 more plastic bins, an extra large suitcase that is my travel teaching kit, and a couple more cardboard boxes. I think there is some in the glove compartment of the car, .....

Then there is fabric and sewing equipment.

Do you have too much? I have some yarn in shallow bins and a sewing room with fabric, all of which I am trying to use up but more room than you do in one room.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Noooooo! There cannot be too much yarn!!!!! The best would be to organize it a lot in my storage unit but that is too far away.

I am expanding the yarn/crochet thing so I do need to keep what I have.

Do you have closet space? I feel like I remember that you keep your clothes pretty simple. Is there room for one of those hanging sweater shelf things that would let you stick the yarn in end-on and see everything you have?

I think the big thing to accept is that I won't have all my yarn in one organized space. It is just too much with my space limits. So lots of good ideas, but I would nee a studio to get it all in one room.

It is a good thing to organize your craft stuff once a year. I do that for flower show supplies. When I put my hands on my stuff, it helps to reinforce in my mind what I own. I am more likely to use the stuff when it is lodged in my brain inventory.

That is a good point IL, I am getting more focused on projects i haven't worked on in awhile and getting new ideas for what supplies I have. Today at my class one of the students bought one of my class examples and is going to promote me on facebook.

Update, my roommate is home tomorrow evening and I finally really got into this project. The biggest thing was getting 2 gallon ziploc for my unfinished projects. Wow there were a lot!! But now they are all bagged with the correct hook and prepared to be worked on.

I have 8 banker's boxes. 2 are unfinished projects, there is a bulky one, acrylic full skeins, 2 acrylic smaller balls, one fabric one finished projects and one fabric and sewing. Then 2 smaller moving boxes I got for consistent size of very fine yarn and one of cotton. I also have 2 underbed boxes of yarn and finished projects that I bring to class. This has cleaned out my large suitcase that I bring to class, and I am not sure exactly where I am going to put it all!!

Thread Information