Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally one Republican speaks out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So what should people who are being judged/treated poorly because of immutable traits like race or sexual orientation do? If people never complain nothing will ever change. If there had not been a lot of complaining women still wouldn't be able to vote, sexual harassment would still be treated as something to joke about, and we'd still be treating black people like we did in 1890.
    And presumably, today's conservatives would be fine with that.

True conservatives like John Paul Stevens (RIP) are sadly missed.

Well at least now trump has moved on from the two minutes hate being chants about Hillary to chants about Ilhan. He's trying to say that he didn't like it or approve of it but either because he lacks the honor of John McCain, https://youtu.be/JIjenjANqAk?t=00m28s or because he was lying when he said he disliked it (or both), he did nothing to try to stop the people https://youtu.be/WFtCKxG9Ims?t=0m42s . For the moment republican politicians claim to be very upset about this. I put the over under at 3 days before we never hear another republican say anything about this, despite the fact that it will undoubtedly happen at every trump rally from here on out. Because that's just the awesome kind of people they are.

Ilhan.
    I actually think it is likely she is anti-Semitic. I suspect Tlaib is too. They are certainly anti-Israel.

As old Hank says: "You are never too old to abandon your prejudices."

I suggest they ditch the anti-Semitism and anti-Israeli bull crap.

And I suggest that Israel stop treating Palestinians like crap.

Did I ever tell you about the gay tour guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Did I ever tell you about the gay tour guide?
    That sounds like the setup of a bad joke. But I’m game. Tell me about the gay tour guide.

That sounds like the setup of a bad joke. But I’m game. Tell me about the gay tour guide.
    I spent a couple weeks in Israel back in 2017. I went all over -- Tel Aviv, Golan Heights, Dead Sea, Sea of Galilee, Red Sea, etc. I also went into Palestine.

The tour guide who took us from Tel Aviv to Palestine was straight and Jewish. He had a wife and kids. When we crossed into Palestine we had to get a local guide. And the moment I saw him my gaydar was going off big time!

Anyway, despite it being kind of illegal, our original guide -- the straight Jewish one -- came with us to Palestine. He did not do any tour guiding though. He was seemingly pretty good friends with the gay Palestinian guide.

So we take a tour, the place feels a bit sketchy, but all in all, I enjoyed my time in Palestine and I tipped the gay tour guide well.

On the way back to Tel Aviv, the straight Jewish tour guide starts having a casual conversation with us about life in Palestine. He explains that he knows many Palestinian gays. And he tells us how he lives near a banquet hall in Tel Aviv.

Apparently a very big group of gay Palestinians came to Tel Aviv and asked community leaders if they could have a place to do gay stuff -- like hold a dinner party, have some dancing, hang out -- you know, really gay stuff.

The community leaders in Tel Aviv were welcoming to these gay Palestinians and they got them that banquet hall. So en mass a whole bunch of gay Palestinians go into Tel Aviv once a month so they can be themselves and have fun openly being gay.

You see, the government of Palestine does not allow gays to engage in any gayness. They could be horribly punished -- formally or "informally."

I would be willing to bet that Israel would be much more open to a two state solution that involves giving Palestine its own land if the government of Palestine wanted a free and open society where all races and genders and religions have rights and can vote in free elections. And no sharia.

But it seems to me, from what I was told and what I have read that Palestine wants a repressive theocracy.

Israel, though a Jewish state, is not a repressive theocracy. It is a bastion of freedom in a region where you, my friend, would be killed for simply being yourself.

But go to Tel Aviv in June. You will see a huge pride parade. Go to the beach all summer and you will see gay and lesbian and trans people milling about openly. You will see protests and demonstrations where people have free speech.

This is why I am Team Israel: The civil liberties!

Hear hear! Voicing that suggestion, however timidly, seems to be the third rail of conservative politics. Representative Omar is completely justified, IMO, in voicing criticism of Israel--her family lived with its oppression.

I am glad, for the sake of California residents here, that CA can, at the moment, afford to pay health insurance costs for any group of people residing in that state legally or illegally. I am sincere in my wish for CA to use their budget however they like. That is the beauty of a loosely federated organization of states—we do not all have to do that same thing.

I am still waiting for the state that pays for health insurance for all within their state to step forward. Havent all of those plans, wishes, and dreams gone by the wayside? CO and OR were the last two I remember taking up that mantle. What happened to those efforts? Why doesnt CA just cover everyone?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-19-19 at 5:21pm.

On the continuum of Disrespectful Behavior the highest intensity behaviors are:
    Violent Behavior
    Unwanted Physical Contact
    Physical Intimidation
    Verbal Threats (are we there yet?)

I see a news item: that on Facebook a sworn law enforcement officer, Charlie Rispoli, wrote in regard to Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, This vile idiot needs a round ……. and I don't mean the kind she used to serve.

Ofc. Rispoli has been a member of the police force of Gretna LA since 2005. The Chief of Police is investigating. He said to nola.com that he does not think the comment represents an actual threat, but it appears to violate the police department's social media policy. "This is not the sort of thing a public servant should be posting."

Thread Information