Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally one Republican speaks out!!!

Right on queue!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

Trump will win again in 2020. It is not because the Dems are "too far left." It is because the Dems are:
    -Tangled up in the worst of identity politics
    -Disorganized and all over the place
    -Not falling in love with any particular candidate

I think Trump would probably agree with you. He has little to lose by being called a racist. His enemies have been doing that from the beginning, and would continue to do so if he were to limit all future utterances to the Sermon on the Mount.

He has much to gain by making voters think of the “squad” when they think of the Democratic Party.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Progressive havens need the big federal dollars to properly provide the services no one can afford.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ment/39202299/

California receives net federal spending of $12/resident more than they pay in federal taxes. The top ten net receivers are:

Virginia: $10,301 per resident
    Kentucky: $9,145 per resident
    New Mexico: $8,692
    West Virgina: $7,283
    Alask: $7,048
    Mississippi: $6,880
    Alabama: $6,694
    Maryland: $6,035
    Maine: $5,572
    Hawaii: $5,270

The bottom ten includes Washington: -$184 per resident, Massachusetts: -$2,343 per resident, New York: -$1,792 per resident, Connecticut: -$4,000 per resident.

Missouri, at $3,949 per resident should probably change their slogan from the show me state to the gimme state.

California's spending is in the black, it has such a SURPLUS of revenue that it did things like that healthcare expansion for undocumented (look I may not agree with the priorities especially as it's not universal (only the young) so you can't even make a public health argument there, but get the facts right). Yes CA has a hard time of it in recessions, I believe Jerry Brown's rainy day fund is still in effect for that, but not sure.

As for states rights, I suspect people who say that don't fully know what they are talking about.

I mean yes do what you can on a state and local level of course, I want to elect good people there. However, the Feds WILL try to overrule it.

Why do you think blue states keep having to sue the Trump Federal government again and again and again? And states like CA and WA have, many times, the lawsuits are endless.

CA can ONLY enact stricter air quality standards because it has specific exemptions to do so in the Clean Air Act and even then the Trump administration keeps challenging it. Most states, uh all states but CA, don't have specific exemptions to enact stricter laws than the Feds there.

So if you think you can just think: "ok, the Fed government is all messed up, but I'm going to run my state exactly like I want", that's not how it works. The Feds aren't going to be all "ok, you go your way we'll go ours" in return. You will have to be in court constantly to try to maintain your state laws. The Trump administration has no great respect for state's rights! So something can be done on the state level but it will be a constant pitched battle. We really need a less hostile administration.
    Trees don't grow on money

It seems progressive states are showing the way. Oregon has a huge revenue surplus, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think Trump would probably agree with you. He has little to lose by being a racist.
    Fixed it for you. I would add, though, that since 43% of the country loves this aspect of him and all those people are likely to vote for other R's there's not much upside, if any, in R politicians calling him out for it. I will be supremely surprised if Justin Amash pulls off a reelection victory next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Fixed it for you. I would add, though, that since 43% of the country loves this aspect of him and all those people are likely to vote for other R's there's not much upside, if any, in R politicians calling him out for it. I will be supremely surprised if Justin Amash pulls off a reelection victory next year.
    I see Trump as racist. He judges and has expectations of people based on arbitrary categories. I think the squad does much the same thing for many of the same reasons. Their real dispute isn’t so much over treating people in that manner, it’s about who gets to play the victim.

I don't see calling out racism as playing victim anymore than I see telling someone to practice their religion however they want to but don't force it on me as me practicing religious persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I don't see calling out racism as playing victim anymore than I see telling someone to practice their religion however they want to but don't force it on me as me practicing religious persecution.
    I see the grievance industrial complex as a form of racism in it’s own right, assigning both sin and virtue on the basis of arbitrary traits. I see little difference between Trump’s tweets and the squad’s. Two sides of the same imbecilic coin.

So what should people who are being judged/treated poorly because of immutable traits like race or sexual orientation do? If people never complain nothing will ever change. If there had not been a lot of complaining women still wouldn't be able to vote, sexual harassment would still be treated as something to joke about, and we'd still be treating black people like we did in 1890.

Thread Information