Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is this the new normal?

Jane, at one time my friends had a paid for house, etc. They died broke due to medical bills. At least they didn’t die in debt. She could have went to a nicer nursing home if that hadn’t happened. He worked until a year before he died when it became physically impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jane, at one time my friends had a paid for house, etc. They died broke due to medical bills. At least they didn’t die in debt. She could have went to a nicer nursing home if that hadn’t happened. He worked until a year before he died when it became physically impossible.
    Clearly, they were just thoughtless slackers, like my friends and relatives who have been pauperized by the medical establishment... (note sarcasm) I forget which flavor of Christianity believes the rich are beloved by God whose favors are made manifest on earth, but I reject that philosophy wholeheartedly.

Jane, I had clients that were solidly in the middle class owning their homes, having retirement savings, etc. Then they acquired a disability and if there spouse didn’t have a decent job often they spent retirement money trying to keep their homes. Sometimes long term marriages fell apart. Man plans and God laughs as the old saying goes.

I guess I don’t see how living one’s life as if thought and effort would make a difference is the same thing as wanting to cast the unfortunate into the outer darkness and sneering at them. Luck has played an important role in my life, but I also think I tried to prepare for the good times and bad. If that’s “smug”, I’m happy to own it. Is everything due to my own efforts? Of course not. Have my efforts made a difference? I think they have, and I make no apology for it.

I can’t see how assuming the role of a helpless plaything of larger forces can make for anything except a miserable and embittered life.

Most people I know have financially planned for retirement. I think what Jane is pointing out is that things can still go horribly wrong.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Every time, each poster gives Trump comments, pro or con, you are giving him power over your thinking. Really think about it. As long as he can keep himself in the news by whatever means, he is succeeding in his viewpoint. Don't help him play his game.
    unfortunately the media keeps falling for it. How about this question. ‘You said several weeks ago the senate would be introducing your health care plan. Where is it.” (Look up exact quote for wording)

how about “despite the economy and unemployment figures how much has the deficit increased under your administration?” ( again look up latest figures)

all the outrage etc. is not helping. Stick to facts on exactly what is happening in real time.

One only needs to review all the archived archived tweets to ask questions that will eventually have some substance. Because with the current democratic field, who all seem to advocate decriminalizing illegal entry and helping illegals with obtaining healthcare you might as well leave a democratic candidate off the 2020 ballots. Not a winning strategy. Even Medicare for all can be a loser.

Flowers, you are absolutely correct. They need to pull their heads out of their butts and be smart.

I agree that there are plenty of areas of concern the media could cover and probably does cover, but those efforts dont achieve the headline news of the day. We are all likely to blame for that.

I could use a little less drama on the news and more real information.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I could use a little less drama on the news and more real information.
    Cable news is the main culprit. They have to be in a lather about something all the time, and the Trump show has been a godsend for them. This is true regardless of political bias. The talking heads on CNN and MSNBC may cluck and tut-tut all they like, but they are loving every minute of this sideshow.

Thread Information