Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the new normal?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Is this the new normal?

Constant controversy, I mean, seemingly coming at one from multiple directions?

On the political stage I worry that if Trump is reelected that this will become the new normal and stick and that there might not be a way to go back. On the work stage I worry with ever increasing competition and more and more automation and the stresses these factors lead to in regards to human health - that there may be no going back to a saner, less stressful and at least on the surface, calmer time. What do you think? Rob

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Rob, things are going to get worse, much worse. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Rob, things are going to get worse, much worse. No joke.
    I agree, and am sorry to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I agree, and am sorry to say it.
    I try to enjoy as much of my life as I can -- taking Harlan to the park, slurping oysters, laughing with friends, a cold bottle of sparkling water, and so forth.

But I know we're on a sinking ship.

Yppej
    If robots start doing all the work and I get to stay home and collect universal basic income I will be happy. Automation does not scare me. Trump on the other hand with his hand near the button...

Rob, get the book, Factfulness, and read it. You cannot recognize all the progress that has taken place as you are part of it. So much good has happened and will continue to happen but hard to see when you only listen to news reports which focus on the extreme, the tragic, the distressed...
    May I suggest - take a news fast for a month and regain your perspective.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Factfulness
    Great book for optimists to confirm their biases!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If robots start doing all the work and I get to stay home and collect universal basic income I will be happy.
    Will you be designing, creating, or building these robots who will do all the work?
    Or will you leech off the amazing work of the scientists and engineers who did the actual work in AI and robotics that will allow you to collect your income without doing any work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Great book for optimists to confirm their biases!
    bi·as
    /ˈbīəs/

noun
    prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
    "there was evidence of bias against foreign applicants"
    synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favoritism, unfairness, one-sidedness;

The book is based on UN-based facts, objectively obtained according to scientific methods. This is what makes it credible. The author acknowledges those issues that need greater attention.

The point of my post was to raise the concept that the world is much bigger than the current depressing US news reports. What news channel reports positive ongoing activities and events that show ongoing human progress? It is not considered newsworthy to the masses who prefer to get emotional and dramatic. Gotta sell those ads so keep building the hype and sell lots of tranquillizers - whatever form they take, don't ya know.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information