Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this the new normal?

Every time, each poster gives Trump comments, pro or con, you are giving him power over your thinking. Really think about it. As long as he can keep himself in the news by whatever means, he is succeeding in his viewpoint. Don't help him play his game.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Every time, each poster gives Trump comments, pro or con, you are giving him power over your thinking. Really think about it. As long as he can keep himself in the news by whatever means, he is succeeding in his viewpoint. Don't help him play his game.
    Agreed! Definitely don't spend any time thinking about the President of The United States or anything he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Agreed! Definitely don't spend any time thinking about the President of The United States or anything he does.
    Now you are being sarcastic, cleverly so. I was, of course, referring to the posts being made and choosing whether to post or not. There are so many other things to post about where one can make a difference. UL, what is your favourite book or author?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Now you are being sarcastic, cleverly so. I was, of course, referring to the posts being made and choosing whether to post or not. There are so many other things to post about where one can make a difference. UL, what is your favourite book or author?
    I don't think posting on this website makes much of a difference one way or another. Might as well say what you believe.

“The world keeps ending but new people too dumb to know it keep showing up who think the party’s just started.”
    -John Updike (I think)

Personally, I’ve made a sort of Pascal’s wager with the future. I will act and plan as if a pretty good one was in store. Not Utopia, but pretty good for people who work hard and put a little thought into it. If I’m wrong, I’ll be little worse off than the people who wasted their years hand-wringing.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    “The world keeps ending but new people too dumb to know it keep showing up who think the party’s just started.”
    -John Updike (I think)

Personally, I’ve made a sort of Pascal’s wager with the future. I will act and plan as if a pretty good one was in store. Not Utopia, but pretty good for people who work hard and put a little thought into it. If I’m wrong, I’ll be little worse off than the people who wasted their years hand-wringing.
    Wonderful philosophy that I share. I am gratefully enjoying all the good I encounter instead of fearfully looking around to see how it might be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    -John Updike (I think)

Worked hard planning for the future prior to retirement. Now, just enjoying the fruits of my labor. I do feel for those who will not have the chance to excel because of things outside of their control. The current regime is a deal breaker for many.

it can be comforting much of the time I guess. it can also become discomforting and too much of a lie to bear. I don't mean morally, because that would be about effect of others and I don't know that it matters much there, I speak of inner coherence.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Worked hard planning for the future prior to retirement. Now, just enjoying the fruits of my labor. I do feel for those who will not have the chance to excel because of things outside of their control. The current regime is a deal breaker for many.
    There will always be forces outside my control. I do the best I can within the constraints, which has worked pretty well for me. I can’t say it has mattered much to me who the president is for most purposes. I think the problem with a victim mentality is that it holds you back even if you’re right.

A lot of people who "worked hard and put a little thought in it" (how smug) have been wiped out by medical bills.

That said, even in these trying times I have some optimism that good people will rise up and take back the reins.

But I still have fantasies of Cascadia...

Thread Information