Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is selling on eBay worth it?

is selling on eBay worth it?

I have a bunch of things that I need to get rid of, specifically musical instruments and dishes.

For those of you who have done it, is it worth selling on eBay? Usually I just donate to Goodwill or another local charity, as I know it is going for a good cause.

But I'm feeling bad about the money I've spent on these things and we could use the cash.

For me it definitely is not worth it but then I don’t need the cash. Also, the stuff I have to sell is pretty low ends and or difficult to ship.

I recently sold something on eBay that was one of a kind. I thought it was special. I put it up on eBay because I wanted it to go to someone who kinda/sorta appreciated it. It was also easy to ship —it was a book.

This winter I will attack my book collection to declutter down to around 10% of it, but do not plan to put any of it up for sale. I’m keeping the things that spark joy and I’m donating the rest.

I don’tKnow about musical instruments but if they have real value, sure, it’s worth your time If you have no hard timeline to get rid of them.

Of course you want to look at ebay completed listings that show items actually sold and for the amount of money to gauge if there is a market for your stuff. If you aren’t working and have extra time and need the cash, musical instruments might be worth your time but I don’t know how tricky they are to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’tKnow about musical instruments but if they have real value, sure, it’s worth your time If you have no hard timeline to get rid of them.

Of course you want to look at ebay completed listings that show items actually sold and for the amount of money to gauge if there is a market for your stuff. If you aren’t working and have extra time and need the cash, musical instruments might be worth your time but I don’t know how tricky they are to ship.
    Thank you for your insights! The instruments are actually horrible to ship, that's what has kept me from doing it.

Maybe I will run an ad in the paper or Craigslist for the violin and viola. . .

I sell on CL, OfferUp, let it go and Nextdoor plus Facebook marketplace.

I learned how to sell stuff on eBay last year and I thought it was fun. Most of my items were relatively inexpensive, and I definitely focused on items that were easy to ship. I probably would not have found it worth my while when I was working, and in fact, I've decided to only do eBay during the colder weather.
    I learned a ton from this Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/32834244401/ and the Youtube videos of Suzanne A Wells (I only did the free ones).

I've sold quite a few things on eBay over the years. I actually think the whole process is sort of a hassle and I will donate things to charity if I think they won't sell for over a certain amount. So I guess in my case, it's what my time is worth and the inconvenience. I have had a few problems, but nothing really significant.

I had an decent old brass instrument from my music days and looked into selling it on eBay. It looked like the musical instruments were getting fair prices. Instead there is a program here where you can drop off musical instruments at music stores and they will get them into the school system as loaners. Much as I enjoyed playing, I thought that was a good deal to give some kid a chance of getting involved in a music program. If that is something you might be interested in, a local music store might know if there is something like that around?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've sold quite a few things on eBay over the years. I actually think the whole process is sort of a hassle and I will donate things to charity if I think they won't sell for over a certain amount. So I guess in my case, it's what my time is worth and the inconvenience. I have had a few problems, but nothing really significant.

I had an decent old brass instrument from my music days and looked into selling it on eBay. It looked like the musical instruments were getting fair prices. Instead there is a program here where you can drop off musical instruments at music stores and they will get them into the school system as loaners. Much as I enjoyed playing, I thought that was a good deal to give some kid a chance of getting involved in a music program. If that is something you might be interested in, a local music store might know if there is something like that around?
    That is a good idea, Rogar, and I have thought of that, but I guess if I am going to do that I ought to keep them in the family for my own grandchildren, although it will be several years until they are old enough to play full size instruments.

Our local music store charges such a rapacious rent for such mediocre instruments that I would not really want to do it with them. although I'd be fine with consignment there.

IF you have a Strat, then take ti to a real auction. Otherwise, I think you would find the market for a violin or viola to be low on Ebay. (they tend to be available locally, easily, where one can put their hands on "inexpensive" models)
    I would look at local instrument locations, as some of them have a refurb program that helps low income out.
    As to dishes, my mom took ones to an Ebay post it location (does Ebay for a fee, typically 50%), and they said there was no market for them.

Tybee, is your china pattern selling on ebay?

Thread Information