Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linens? Towels?

Question Linens? Towels?

I'm looking for ways to buy less stuff. One thing we did a few years back was to buy a linen duvet cover. We used it to try and see if we liked the way the linen felt. On our schedule (when they fail) we'll replace the cotton/poly sheets with either cotton/linen or just linen.

I'm looking to do the same with our bath towels and considering Turkish towels. Does anyone use these? Comments? Love it? Hate it? My attraction to them is: less bulk, requires less storage. I hate the fact that at some point terry cloth just either stops absorbing water or looks awful. I stopped using terry in the kitchen long ago, i use flat weave linen or cotton only.

Comments are appreciated. Hope the link is allowed? If not, just let me know and I'll remove it. There's an article I found about Turkish towels on apartment therapy.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/wha...-towels-224777
    Last edited by NewGig; 7-16-19 at 11:22am. Reason: add link to article

Had to look up to see what is meant by Turkish towels? Interesting!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, interesting! I have never used them.

I saw those a few years ago on the Miss Minimalist blog. Saw them in Marshalls and considered buying one as a bath towel but A: It's much larger than I need, and B: don't care for the fringes. But supposedly they dry very quickly and take up very little room when stored.

Hmmm. I should try them for my small bathroom and small apartment-sized washer. It only accommodates 4 terrycloth towels.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

seems like the tassels would tangle in a washer.
    Trees don't grow on money

I just bought a Turkish cotton bath floor mat from Crate and Barrel to try (no tassels). I don't like the bulky, shedding bath rugs that are hard to launder. I was surprised by how lightweight it is but very dense and absorbent. And expensive

I don't know about others, but what I do with aprons (strings) and things with fringe, whether they're "delicates" or not, I put them in a delicates mesh bag when I wash/dry them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I just bought a Turkish cotton bath floor mat from Crate and Barrel to try (no tassels). I don't like the bulky, shedding bath rugs that are hard to launder. I was surprised by how lightweight it is but very dense and absorbent. And expensive
    I bought one of these recently and I really like it. I have similar ones that I bought at Macy's long ago, but they are getting a bit worn and frayed around the edges. LL Bean always does a sale on holidays, so Labor Day weekend will probably discount everything 20% or so.
    https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8872...6598-GN3&csp=f

There are better prices on these on Amazon. Some have free returns, so less worry about not liking them. When I was a kid, most gas stations in America had roller towels in the rest rooms and those were almost always made of Turkish toweling. They must have held up well to be commercially laundered weekly. I might try some - they are really pretty. If the fringe bothers you, I don't think it would be difficult to cut it off and hem them. I'd just run a close zig-zag before cutting to they didn't unravel. For bath mats - I like the terry ones like LL Bean sells and I found one at a thrift store and have used it for several years now. Otherwise, though, I've always just used a folded bath towel and tossed it in the wash as needed with the other towels.

Thread Information