Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White dudes and identity politics.

White dudes and identity politics.

So I was at a restaurant and there was a work group there. I gathered they were from a public institution. I overheard them talking about the presidential candidates from the Dems.

They were mostly all-about Kamala Harris (which I am mostly on board with -- I like her stance on healthcare and on mary jane legalization, for instance). But they also were talking about Pete. And a man who appeared to be gay said: "I am all about Pete. I mean, he is white so that is a negative, but otherwise he is a really good candidate!"

I have also had other friends and colleagues say they would not vote for Bernie or Biden. They say something like: "I can't vote for another white guy. I just cannot do it."

A confidant of mine, a white guy, said: "I really wanted Beto to come out front and be THE candidate. But it is just not a good time to be a white guy. It is a real liability. So I will just vote for whoever the Dem candidate is."

Do you think that eventually this sort of attitude could turn otherwise liberal and progressive straight white men away from the Dems or perhaps just disaffect them from voting?

(Disclaimer: My dream ticket remains Kamala & Pete.)

Isn’t voting for someone for no other reason than race every bit as wrong as voting against someone for no other reason than race?

UL you are a white dude. Why should we care about any of your political analysis?

Haha kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    UL you are a white dude. Why should we care about any of your political analysis?

Haha kidding.
    Not an analysis! LOL
    Just a question.

Race is a stupid reason to vote for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Race is a stupid reason to vote for someone.
    Is it a stupid reason to not vote for someone?

What about sex? Gender?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Is it a stupid reason to not vote for someone?

What about sex? Gender?
    Not relevant to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tend to vote for the person I think is most able to do the job, and not engage in running my own little affirmative action program. If nobody on the ballot can do the job, I generally vote for the candidate that will send the best signal to the mainstream parties, or simply withhold my vote.

What about sex? Gender?
    I don't care about it, not relevant.

Do you think that eventually this sort of attitude could turn otherwise liberal and progressive straight white men away from the Dems or perhaps just disaffect them from voting?
    can't be bothered to care too much either. I am a lot MORE concerned about the silencing of necessary opinions (not on race! but on other issues) by this nonsense.

I mean if the opinions of idiots affect their vote one way or other and they refuse even to vote for better candidates because of it ok well we have the cutting off your nose to spite your face contingent I guess. And if one is a politician they try to get as many votes as they can. But white guys aren't the only group who is going to carry the Dem vote. Dems partly lost last time due to low black turnout as much as anything whites did or didn't do.
    Trees don't grow on money

They were mostly all-about Kamala Harris (which I am mostly on board with -- I like her stance on healthcare and on mary jane legalization, for instance).
    watch the money with her, she has to be taking health insurance money. Of course if all one wants is the ACA not an issue I guess.

And if all one wants is to defeat Trump than almost anybody and maybe nobody could.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information