Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White dudes and identity politics.

I can't disagree too much, Old Hat. Trump has not strayed too far for his parties platform. However, he has kicked the can of bigotry, dishonesty, and white nationalism quite a ways further than Cruz or Rubio were capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Very few people ever see this fact, bae.
    There are notable and noble exceptions, but I tend to find that people who claim to see facts that very few others can see are the most likely to fit the conspiracy theorist template.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There are notable and noble exceptions, but I tend to find that people who claim to see facts that very few others can see are the most likely to fit the conspiracy theorist template.
    Right! People -- especially national leaders -- don't get together and make long term plans and then execute those plans.

And even if they did, no prole would ever be able to decipher such plans!

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Trump... has kicked the can of... white nationalism quite a ways further than Cruz or Rubio were capable.

Here is a question that your point brought up. And it is related to the original question of this thread. Could the far left be feeding white nationalism with their rhetoric too?

Right! People -- especially national leaders -- don't get together and make long term plans and then execute those plans.

And even if they did, no prole would ever be able to decipher such plans!

I stand corrected.
    I don’t think national leaders, perhaps with the exception of dictators who plan on being in power for decades, tend to do a lot of long term planning. They mostly just react to short term threats and opportunities and leave the future problems for someone else.

Our current political environment is more the result of a political class trying to give us what they think we think we want.

Here is a question that your point brought up. And it is related to the original question of this thread. Could the far left be feeding white nationalism with their rhetoric too?
    Thesis, meet Antithesis?

I suspect so, though it needs to be looked at in relative terms when comparing the two. I can imagine each pushes the other a little further to the extreme these days. Which brings up the point that a centrist might be the best choice. If one exists.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have great respect for the power of the emergent properties of autonomous self-organizing systems. Amazing things can result from initial conditions, rule sets, and time. No conspiracies are needed, just math.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I suspect so, though it needs to be looked at in relative terms when comparing the two. I can imagine each pushes the other a little further to the extreme these days. Which brings up the point that a centrist might be the best choice. If one exists.
    What I wonder is what sort of rhetoric could the left compose and use to enfranchise straight, white men into a more progressive vision of the future?
    I am not sure, but I think it would involve ditching identity politics.

I am not sure, but I think it would involve ditching identity politics.
    According to a recent Rasmussen Reports Survey, one third of all Democrats believe it's racism anytime a white politician criticizes a non-white politician.
    It seems to me that number is actually higher. I think I could make the case that virtually all Progressives judge everyone by three criteria: skin color, gender and political philosophy. Part of me thinks "whatever makes you feel better about yourself" but the other part of me thinks "grow up little dude, you're irritating everyone else."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information