Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: White dudes and identity politics.

I'm baffled by why anyone thinks that the financially privileged parking more money in offshore hoards would be good for the economy. It really doesn't even do much for the hoarders, except--I guess--increasing their "score."

Trickle down has never worked and that’s why the rich love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Trickle down has never worked and that’s why the rich love it.
    When I think of trickle down economics I see proof of its efficacy by looking back at my life. Someone once said you can predict the future by looking at what the rich have today, the middle class will have something equivalent within 10 years and the poor will have a decade later. That's been my experience and that's also trickle down economics.

Those of you fixated on redistribution through government force (taxation) are missing the point. During the heyday of FDR's New Deal the top tax rates were 90+ percent and 85% of the population were subjected to paying some amount annually. Today the maximum tax rate is much lower, the number of citizens subjected to paying income tax is in the 50 to 55% range and the poor are better off than they've ever been.

Explain that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When I think of trickle down economics I see proof of its efficacy by looking back at my life. Someone once said you can predict the future by looking at what the rich have today, the middle class will have something equivalent within 10 years and the poor will have a decade later. That's been my experience and that's also trickle down economics.

Those of you fixated on redistribution through government force (taxation) are missing the point.
    I suppose that's why an older generation called it the "horse and sparrow theory" If you feed the horse enough oats some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose that's why an older generation called it the "horse and sparrow theory" If you feed the horse enough oats some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.
    Just remember that it's not the government providing those oats to the horse, it's the capitalist.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Just remember that it's not the government providing those oats to the horse, it's the capitalist.
    I was thinking, not of the few grains of oats that hit the road for the sparrow, I was thinking of the s**t.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You mean the capitalists that got bailed out by the government ten years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You mean the capitalists that got bailed out by the government ten years ago?
    The government bailed them out largely with funds taxed from capitalists or money borrowed from capitalists. Then the bailouts were repaid by the original capitalists.

Should more institutions have been allowed to fail? Perhaps, but President You-Didn’t-Build-That seemed to think it was necessary.

It's hardly capitalism if failure has no consequences.

It's a little deceiving to talk tax rates without considering the effective rates after various tax advantages.
    https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-on-t...950s-not-high/

The fault of redistribution of income through taxes is that it goes the the inefficiency of the bureaucracy. The fault of trickle down economics where advantages are given to the wealthy and corporations is the element of greed, where the rich benefit the most and the profit motive gives little consideration for social welfare. I have always thought that trickle down economics doesn't work based on past history, but something seems to be working well with the economy now. I think the experts are slightly baffled. Maybe it's all the tax cuts at the expense of the National Debt.

Thread Information