Thread: For those of you that can

For those of you that can

You may already have heard this, but sharing in case you haven't.

The latest recommendations say that if you are processing your item for 10 minutes or longer, you don't need to sterilize the jar separately first. Pretty much every thing I can is at least 10 minutes so this is going to save me energy, as well as heat and steam in my kitchen. And its almost the hotter days of the year when I'm canning anything.

I put my jars in the water bath as it is heating. No extra heat. That way the hot food doesn't hit a cold jar thus cooling everything down followed by raising the temp yet again in the water bath. (I toss my rings in as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I put my jars in the water bath as it is heating. No extra heat. That way the hot food doesn't hit a cold jar thus cooling everything down followed by raising the temp yet again in the water bath. (I toss my rings in as well.)
    I had wondered about some timing questions. I always put the jars through the dishwasher and keep them warm, place the fresh snaps and rings in simmering water for a few minutes before placing on the hot mixture in the jars.
    I usually can applesauce, tomato salsa, tomatoes and pickles like dill and beets. What do you usually can?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I mostly can pickles and sometimes jam. Both foods are really safe anyways, with the added acidity and or sugar. This year I would like to can tomatoes and peaches.

I do the same as Gardnr. I only really do small batch canning anymore. Two to three jars at a time, jam or most times, chutney. Some relish too.

I highly recommend a book I use, "The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving," by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had wondered about some timing questions. I always put the jars through the dishwasher and keep them warm, place the fresh snaps and rings in simmering water for a few minutes before placing on the hot mixture in the jars.
    I usually can applesauce, tomato salsa, tomatoes and pickles like dill and beets. What do you usually can?
    Salsa, Tomato Sauce, fruit jams, fruit syrup.....so far in my canning career.

I have the small batch book. Another recommendation: Eugenia Bone - Well Preserved. She lives in NYC. Provides a recipe for 3-4 pints, and recipes to use the cherries in wine or marinated baby artichokes or zucchini flower sauce, or . . . . I got this because I wanted more of her. I also have her Kitchen Eco-System, that one she gives recipes to use some fresh, use the scraps, preserve some and use the preserved food too.

Thread Information