Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saying Goodbye after 15 Years

Saying Goodbye after 15 Years

My first dog as a adult was a puppy we named Mandy. I wanted a Maltese because of my allergies and asthma. Being ignorant of puppy mills I bought her from a pet store. She came with a free vet visit who said she was in good health. Didnít like the vet so took her to a different one for her shots. Turns out that her heart valve doesnít close and her heart is enlarging. We have had her 2 weeks and she needs heart surgery for 4K. I had charged her so told pet store to refund or I will dispute the charges. They want her back and will give me a healthy puppy and I say no. I get my money back. Turns out if I had stayed with the first vet Mandy would have died shortly after she was one and her warranty would have been up. She has been the sweetest dog ever. Today we say goodbye due to kidney disease and dementia. She was the inspiration for the Maltese Mansion and we have adopted mill dogs and went to many animal events to educate people about puppy mills. In fact I typed up Mandyís story as a puppy and Josieís story as a mill breeder to hand out to people. Needless to say we are heartbroken.

So sorry for your loss!

I bought my first Schnauzer from a pet store, too. I was ignorant of the way things were, and honestly thought the breeders had "extra" . Chosen also due to my allergies and asthma!

I was referred to a breeder of schnauzies, and told her my home was open to an addition. Missed her first litter, as I wanted a female. Next litter, I got pick and her daughter was keeping whichever I didn't take to begin her own breeding. She came with worms, and I didn't want to breed her so didn't request the AKC paper, but she is NOT purebred!

I also have a rescued 10 year old Schnauzer and a rescued Maltipoo.

I hope you know your home was perfect for her, and you gave her the best life!

So very sorry, Terry. In my experience, losing a furry friend is more devastating than almost anything else. They weave themselves into your everyday life with love and loyalty, and yanking that thread out leaves such a gash.

I wish you peace as you navigate this really difficult time.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The last two years have been hard as we have lost 4 dogs and 2 very close friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The last two years have been hard as we have lost 4 dogs and 2 very close friends.
    i feel your loss of a precious furry friend and understand your disappointment with the puppy mills. Fortunately, the puppy mills are gradually being closed down, I believe, but some are listing their pups online on Kijiji.com. I have obtained my last three dogs from the local humane society and each is a mixed breed but wonderfully healthy vigorous dogs. The present one is a very timid beagle who is gradually coming out of his nervous state.

I am lost without my dog to walk for 1 1/2 hours per day and talk to throughout the day.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I am so sorry. Fur baby lovers know they hold a special place in our hearts that nothing else can fill.

What a special little girl she was! So sorry.

Losing a beloved animal friend is one of life's hardest trials. My condolences.

I'm so very sorry TT. My 16 year old dog is deaf and blind, but she's hanging in there. I keep thinking of this as "the long goodbye". My heart aches for you TT. Hopefully sooner rather than later, you can think of her and smile, without the awful pain.
    (((hugs)))

I'm so sorry Terry. It is very hard indeed.

Thread Information