Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New England

New England

We visited New England. We were there for eight days. Other than the horrific costs and god awful traffic around Boston I likeee very much!This was the first trip to New England for both of us.

We stayed in Needham, Massachusetts, an older close- in suburb of Boston. We were too busy with Lily society activities to visit Boston proper, and that is tragic! I am sorry about that and don’t lecture me about whatever opportunity I missed because I know that I did.

We did see the Harvard Arboretum that hosted our lily convention. We also visited two horticulture sites, one Tower Hill (a modern place) and one something Elm, a Victorian place.

At the convention we heard from the primary researcher of The Red Lily beetle that decimated lily plants in the 1990’s - 2010. He says it is now under control, done with a selected predator. All of you NE gardeners need to go back to planting lilies!

After the Lily convention we drove up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire where our friend lives and our other friend came to visit so we had a little St. Louis reunion. We also darted over The Maine state line to say that we have been to Maine.

It was beautiful! Architecture was stunning. So many super duper old houses! Pretty trees and mountains!

Not once were my eyes assaulted with ugly things!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-19-19 at 8:56pm.

It's God's country.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    It's God's country.
    You've obviously never been to Alabama.

We have taken several trips back to explore the East. I loved every inch of New England.

Yppej
    I do have a few lilies in my yard. I also like Tower Hill.

I'm a member at Tower Hill! I'm guessing the Elm place is the Gardens at Elm Bank in Wellesley- its the home of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.

When traveling to the Maritimes so many times over 45+ years, DH and I always enjoyed our trips through NY, NH, VT and Maine especially the off the beaten track routes through old towns with gorgeous houses and stately trees. I miss doing that!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm a member at Tower Hill! I'm guessing the Elm place is the Gardens at Elm Bank in Wellesley- its the home of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.
    Yes! elm Bank. The demonstration garden of ornamental annuals and perennials was nice. The big area of herbaceous perennials was great, as was the children’s garden. Their daylily collection was old and boring. Had some nice trees. Big walls of dark beech were fab.

My favorite place in New England for architecture is Newport RI. Highly recommend a trip down the next time you are in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    My favorite place in New England for architecture is Newport RI. Highly recommend a trip down the next time you are in the neighborhood.
    Yeah if you skip that gaudy Vanderbilt mansion. In New England I prefer the simpler, colonial examples of architecture.

IL, I wish you could have come to VT!!! Next time.

Boston is a great place to visit for a love of old architecture. So much history.

It sounds like you had a very busy agenda! Congratulations on your accomplishments.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information