Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New England

We have been to Boston twice. Both times we went 4 days before our cruise left to explore. Not sure why you didn’t plan to see the town. We lived in upstate New York 40 years ago. The East is beautiful but also gets a lot of snow in places, very damp and winter is the longest season. All of this is probably not true of Boston but obviously very expensive and not sure I would want to live around that many people. Maine is beautiful also.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have been to Boston twice. Both times we went 4 days before our cruise left to explore. Not sure why you didn’t plan to see the town...
    If you want to explain to him why Mommers is gone so long and will take even longer to sightsee in Boston, go ahead! I‘m not doing it.

36263118-0C5B-461A-863B-2E2D732FF6CA.jpg
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-20-19 at 3:37pm.

He’s very cute but we have left our dogs with my son for 2-3 weeks at a time. They do live)

Funny about leaving your pet. I am struggling with the idea of leaving my little boy. I left him at daycare and to get his nails trimmed. He had lots of dogs to play with and loves being with other dogs but when I arrived, he whimpered and chattered loudly for about 10 minutes once he saw me. Even the kennel owner/operator was laughing about the report of the day that i was getting from this little character. I wonder what he was really saying in dog language.

My previous dog which I loved was at peace about being on his own for reasonable hours with a dog walker if needed or in the local kennel. This little timid beagle is being a typical beagle, I am told, by being very attached. I do leave him after taking him for a long walk and with a treat but there is still wailing for 5 minutes. The treat is untouched until I return and then eaten. They are all unique creatures just like us.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have lived here all of my life, but I am in love with New England and could never imagine living anywhere else. So glad you got to see the Arboretum and Tower Hill. DH and I took lots of mini classes at the Arboretum many moons ago, and some of our instructors were horticultural greats. A walk through the Arboretum with Michael Dirr was a once-in-a-lifetime joy. We have a FB friend who is a botanist (and Deadhead!) from Colorado, and she got us a permit to collect pine cones for her from the Arboretum several years ago. That was fun, like a treasure hunt! We finally got to Tower Hill this summer and we loved it! It was on my list since 2000 or so, but I tell myself the garden had time to mature.
    If you do return to New England, I would also recommend Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens and Garden in the Woods. The Boston Public Garden is also lovely if you ever decide to do the city.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Funny about leaving your pet. I am struggling with the idea of leaving my little boy. I left him at daycare and to get his nails trimmed. He had lots of dogs to play with and loves being with other dogs but when I arrived, he whimpered and chattered loudly for about 10 minutes once he saw me. Even the kennel owner/operator was laughing about the report of the day that i was getting from this little character. I wonder what he was really saying in dog language.

My previous dog which I loved was at peace about being on his own for reasonable hours with a dog walker if needed or in the local kennel. This little timid beagle is being a typical beagle, I am told, by being very attached. I do leave him after taking him for a long walk and with a treat but there is still wailing for 5 minutes. The treat is untouched until I return and then eaten. They are all unique creatures just like us.
    awwww, he is sweet! He loves his mommers.

Part of my problem in leaving my dog for long periods is that it is MY problem. He’s nearly 10 years old he won’t make it to 12. These are the last 24 months of his life. He’s a special dog. I can go on long vacations after he is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have lived here all of my life, but I am in love with New England and could never imagine living anywhere else. So glad you got to see the Arboretum and Tower Hill. DH and I took lots of mini classes at the Arboretum many moons ago, and some of our instructors were horticultural greats. A walk through the Arboretum with Michael Dirr was a once-in-a-lifetime joy. We have a FB friend who is a botanist (and Deadhead!) from Colorado, and she got us a permit to collect pine cones for her from the Arboretum several years ago. That was fun, like a treasure hunt! We finally got to Tower Hill this summer and we loved it! It was on my list since 2000 or so, but I tell myself the garden had time to mature.
    If you do return to New England, I would also recommend Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens and Garden in the Woods. The Boston Public Garden is also lovely if you ever decide to do the city.
    I can see that if one was born in New England you wouldn’t want to leave it. I always knew I would like it even though I had not visited there.

Our Lily society was given a greeting lecture by the director of the Arboretum who is very enthusiastic about his job. And then another person from the Arboretum spoke later about plants in the collections and the relationship the Arboretum has with botanists in China for collecting, A relationship that has been going on for a century. I didn’t get to see nearly as much of the Arboretum as I would’ve liked, but the two vistas I saw were absolutely stunning. Their selection of trees took advantage of that part of the world to support deciduous and conifer specimens, and the variety was lovely.

I came away with a tick stuck in my back that I got either in Tower Hill or Elm Bank.

IL, you are worse than me). My husband makes fun of how I get homesick for the dogs but we go at least once a year and sometimes two. Sometimes we take the dogs with us.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It was beautiful! Architecture was stunning. So many super duper old houses! Pretty trees and mountains!

Not once were my eyes assaulted with ugly things!
    Good thing you skipped Boston, then:

Boston City Hall. Brutalist architecture has its place. IMHO Boston is not one of those places...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    That is not representative of the city as a whole.

Thread Information