Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New England

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    That is not representative of the city as a whole.
    Don't I know that? (ex was from the Boston area; I logged a lot of time there in the 90s). Just pointing it out as an exercise in what even a Boston City Cop once told me was, "The ugliest building tax dollars could buy!" It is in distinct contrast to the Victorian-era buildings all over Boston (as well as what remains of Revolutionary-era building). Brutalist seems to be a form that people either love or hate. I admire the utility of it but find many architects can pursue utility without the blocky forms and rough textures of Brutalism.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    With the added bonus that they are both picturesque progressive bastions. We chose well.
    Yes, we did!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Maybe the architecture reflects that the city is run by the Democratic machine.

So glad you enjoyed your trip. Having lived in New England my entire life, it is easy to take it for granted. I do love living in New Hampshire.

Sounds like you had a good time here. I'll have to look up the Gardens at Elm Bank. Never heard of it! We're always looking for new, worthwhile places to go in New England, not necessarily tourist traps.

Glad you had a great time hereabouts!

I went to college in Mass, as did my two brothers and one of my sons. I also went to college in Vermont. I have always thought Vermont to be one of the five most beautiful states. I was going to say the most beautiful, but I also find Wisconsin and South Carolina to be equally lovely.

I could happily live in any of those.

I lived in VT for a year as a child. I absolutely loved it. My 3rd grade class went hiking on a local mountain, the school had cross country skis for us to use at recess, and the woods behind our house were beautiful - filled with ferns in the warm season, with a fragrant carpet of pine needles. Not only that, but there were no venomous snakes to create a hazard for tromping and fort-building. Now I live in the deciduous forest area of Minnesota, and although it lacks mountains, the abundant lakes compensate to some extent by providing beautiful sunrise and sunset views and lots of silent kayaking escapes. After that one year in VT, I spent almost 15 years in the midatlantic to south region and then 10 years in the Southwest. When I moved to MN, I felt like I had finally come home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I lived in VT for a year as a child. I absolutely loved it. My 3rd grade class went hiking on a local mountain, the school had cross country skis for us to use at recess, and the woods behind our house were beautiful - filled with ferns in the warm season, with a fragrant carpet of pine needles. Not only that, but there were no venomous snakes to create a hazard for tromping and fort-building. Now I live in the deciduous forest area of Minnesota, and although it lacks mountains, the abundant lakes compensate to some extent by providing beautiful sunrise and sunset views and lots of silent kayaking escapes. After that one year in VT, I spent almost 15 years in the midatlantic to south region and then 10 years in the Southwest. When I moved to MN, I felt like I had finally come home.
    I agree that there are similarities between VT and MN. Both are beautiful. When I was in NJ, I was envious of my brother and SIL who live in MN. Their town was adorable (population 687 at last count), and they lived a simple life in a great community with great people. They still live in MN but have downsized to a condo. My Minnesota-envy evaporated when I moved to VT. So I get what you're saying, Rosemary.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information