Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions about psych health and therapy

Two questions about psych health and therapy

issue#1:
    Someone we know, a young person, went through electroshock treatment last year. I assume her treatment is state of the art modern stuff and not a big deal. A friend of ours was horrified to hear she was doing this and said this kind of treatment isnt done except in extreme cases. He has no expertise in this field but I was surprised at his vehemence. Is he all wet?

please comment about modern day electroshock therapy.

issue #2:

a friend was all set to give her kidney to her sister. She was denied on psych grounds. How often does that happen? She said she was denied because she would feel too responsible if the kidney did not take.

comments? How often is a donor turned down for psych reasons?

They now do it under general anesthesia but yes it’s kind of a last resort when other things haven’t worked. Tammy can probably speak to this and the other question much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They now do it under general anesthesia but yes it’s kind of a last resort when other things haven’t worked. Tammy can probably speak to this and the other question much better.
    That was my immediate reaction--it's not as brutal as it used to be. Other than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This treatment was same-day-then-come-home treatment. It was periodic. Her mom said she slept the rest of the day after treatment. Is it possible I have mixed up this treatment with another similar one?

I ask because it is not as though this patient had tried years of treatments, she seemed to sort of slip into it after suicide attempt (s) along with talk therapy and some drug therapy. She was hospitalized for a couple of weeks prior to starting this electro treatment.

ECT has been around for a very long time. We went to anesthesia back in the 80s. And yes, it's a very serious treatment and certainly deep down the list of therapies. I like Mayo for explaining with clarity for the lay person. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20393894

i know nothing about living donor screening.

yea it's still linked to the potential for brain damage as I understand it. It doesn't seem as brutal due to sedation etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

When several trials of depression meds and various talk therapies have failed, one option is ECT. It can be done inpatient or outpatient. It’s usually 3 treatments a week for a month. Some people need a treatment once a month or so for maintenance. You’re sedated and don’t remember it, recovery is an hour or two. There is a risk of short term memory loss. But after years of suicide attempts and multiple failed depression treatments, many people are willing to take that risk.

For reference, I work where the most severely mentally ill people in our state/region are treated. We have about 270 patients at any given time, and about 3-6 of them are getting ECT. It’s pretty rare.

We just opened a TMS clinic. It’s a noninvasive alternative to ECT that looks promising. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384625

IL: I think rejection of donor would be rare for these issues unless they were clearly present and identified with past problems in this area already evident. It is also possible that the donor expressed fear in her interview and decided with the doctor that this was important. Not everyone wants to be a donor. We cannot know exactly since what is told to others is often "biased" and "bare of actual details".

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    ECT has been around for a very long time. We went to anesthesia back in the 80s. And yes, it's a very serious treatment and certainly deep down the list of therapies. I like Mayo for explaining with clarity for the lay person. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20393894

i know nothing about living donor screening.
    Thanks. That Mayo article is a good summary.

Thread Information