Thread: Adjustable beds and recliners

Adjustable beds and recliners

Well, a couple of weeks ago the plumber came to install a new tankless hot water heater and a new kitchen faucet. He had to go through a trap door in the kitchen to access the crawlspace. When he came out, he didn't close the door again, and I was doing interviews in my office.

DH came in, saw the new faucet, was excited to get a good look, and fell through the trap door. The ground is only about 2-3 feet below the floor, so he was able to land on one foot, but his back hit the opening. Ever since, he's had a terrible time--during the day his back is fine, actually--he didn't fracture anything, but he's subject to nocturnal leg cramps and foot cramps anyway, so that combined with soreness and discomfort lying in a prone position in bed has really impacted his sleep.

He got pills from the doctor, but once the 2 hour half-life is over, he wakes up again. The one night he got in about 6 hours solid was when I created a wedge of several pillows to elevate his torso, but it's hard to keep them in the right position for an optimum sleep.

So, I'm thinking of buying (or even renting if possible) a recliner or an adjustable bed or--the cheapest option--one of those foam wedge systems that claim to provide zero gravity sleeping.

I really don't want to spend a ton of money, but he is miserable, with not much end in sight. Plus he has sleep apnea so even if his back gets better, there may be some benefit from swapping out our regular mattress with an adjustable.

Does anyone have any experience with finding back pain and/or leg/foot cramp relief with an adjustable bed or a recliner?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sleep number adjustable bed but they are expensive. I am so sorry Catherine. That sounds like something I would do.

I have the basic Sleep Number where you can adjust the hardness/softness, but nothing else. I can't say it's any great shakes for my back problems, that come and go, although it seems like a good mattress otherwise. A friend swears by them for his back, though. I do gentle back stretches routinely and I think that has helped more than anything. I also use also TENS unit that I think helps when things are worse than usual.

We have had our bed for many years and it has a 20 year warranty. I adjust it according to how my back feels. My doggie sitter bought one after using ours. Initially expensive but ours is 15 years old. If the pump goes out they replace it.

Have no experience, but Craftmatic is advertising "less than half the price of a Tempurpedic"

I've been sleeping on a recliner this week because we have a housefull of guests and I have to say its not been super comfy...maybe its my recliner but by morning I have lower leg and foot cramps.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I know this post is old, but I use this from Travelwedge
    Last edited by Alan; 6-10-22 at 11:07am. Reason: removed link promoting commercial product.

Thread Information