Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing interest in a hobby

Losing interest in a hobby

Has anyone else had a hobby they loved but lost interest? For the past 30+ years I have trained and showed dogs. I loved the training, the classes, the shows, the camaraderie... However, lately I haven't had any desire. I work at dog shows to keep my connections and really do enjoy it. But no interest in preparing for the ring again.

I'm thinking it's because I'm ready for something else. Sort of a been there/done that thing. I'm hoping it's not depression.

Anyone else lose interest in a beloved hobby and moved on to something else?

Oh yeah, sure! I think it is healthy to MoveOn in interests as long as you arent jumping from one to a other like a jack rabbit.

I see people in my hobby groups who are here for the long term and forever. There’s another group that comes in, becomes competent, does work for for 4-6 years, and then bails. I think that is fine too. Unfortunately, some of the long termers cannot wrap their heads around the idea that some people just drop out. In the bulldog world I see people drop in a drop out all the time

I think I'm hardwired to start something and jump in with abandon and then... abandon. I did it with drawing, sewing, piano playing, writing, acting, embroidering, decoupaging, and running.

These days I'm all in with gardening. I hope it lasts, because I like it a lot.

I remember telling my mother one day "I want to do EVERYTHING," to which she replied,"Jack of all trades, master of none." She's right. I don't excel at anything in particular, but I do have fun trying.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think I'm hardwired to start something and jump in with abandon and then... abandon. I did it with drawing, sewing, piano playing, writing, acting, embroidering, decoupaging, and running.

These days I'm all in with gardening. I hope it lasts, because I like it a lot.

I remember telling my mother one day "I want to do EVERYTHING," to which she replied,"Jack of all trades, master of none." She's right. I don't excel at anything in particular, but I do have fun trying.
    This beauty of gardening is that there are so many areas you can focus on, it is rich with possibilities. I have taken up and abandoned many aspects of it over the years, but still am a Gardener.

Life is meant to be enjoyed and explored. I have tried so many things activities, got competent in some and found that each activity provided and enriched every other activity. We don't operate in silos separating our life in compartments, I believe.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

30 years is a VERY long time to do just 1 thing. Explore other areas of interest. Take a class in each. See if something else speaks to you. Perhaps it's the required appt time that doesn't work anymore? Is there something of interest you can do when you darn well feel like it?

i can sew anytime day or night. I can garden any daylight hour (I like to weed during sunrise before it's fully shining-nice and cool). Sometimes I have to weed after work though.....but I can. I can knit day/night. i can walk in the 'hood light or dark. I can play piano when hubby isn't sleeping. Lots of interests, and soon, plenty of time!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This beauty of gardening is that there are so many areas you can focus on, it is rich with possibilities. I have taken up and abandoned many aspects of it over the years, but still am a Gardener.
    I had a wonderful thing happen to me recently. One of my VT neighbors gave me and my neighbors vegetable plants that he had started from seed. He doesn't come up here often. I put mine in the ground and I fertilized and hung the cascading tomatoes he gave me.

I don't know why, but they are doing great. The color of the leaves is rich green and there are dozens of buds. The tomatoes he kept for himself and also the ones he gave our neighbors are nothing but sticks. So it makes it look like I have a green thumb.

His wife took pictures she was so impressed with the tomatoes I nurtured and they gave me their tomatoes that are struggling.

I feel like a gardener poseur, but I'm so proud that the plants he gave me, that he lovingly started from seed, are doing so well.

It gives me hope that someday, IL, I'll also be able to call myself a Gardener.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    Yes, I spent some intense years on genealogy, then reached a point where I was satisfied and set it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes, I spent some intense years on genealogy, then reached a point where I was satisfied and set it aside.
    Oh, yeah. Did that, too.

I spent 25 years selling books. Books were my friends and joy of my life. I still read, but hardly like I did. I got out of the business a few years back. They’re just objects now and useful tools. I can’t imagine a home without books, but I spend days now not reading....

I don’t know what’s next, but I’ll find out I guess? I think we all grow and shifting interests are part of that.

Thread Information