Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing interest in a hobby

I have known people to quit showing dogs. It’s a expensive hobby.

I would say you should look for other signs of possible depression. But, not seeing those, it's fine to move on from a hobby. Few activities stay static; you simply may be picking up changes in how the hobby is done -- even side effects of those changes -- that you don't like.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for all your responses! I'm feeling a little clearer now on why I'm losing interest. Dog showing is expensive, but it's also a thinking sport, such as in obedience and agility. Not only do you have to learn, but you have to teach your dog. All dogs are different and they all have their issues. I guess I'm tired of the "problem solving".

Right now I have a willing and biddable Sheltie who had an amazing show career, but he is now developing shyness in the ring that wasn't present when he was younger. I took a few motivational courses, but in the end decided to retire him and let him just be a companion dog. I think we are both at an age that we want to think less and just "be" more. And the thought of starting a new dog gives me a headache.

My other hobby is hiking, but arthritis is slowing me down. But what I love about hiking is that I can just "be". No thinking, no problem solving, no worrying if we will qualify in the dog show ring.

Ha! I think I just answered my own question!

Thread Information