Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garbage reduction challenge

The vacuum turned out ok - all recyclable plastic bags, paper, and cardboard. Dh will operate it. Also, it is a canister vac - so dh can just dump it in the yard.

my biggest source of garbage is feed bags. They are plastic. I have a pattern to make reusable bags from them, but they have to be washed first because it is sweet feed. Also, it is a big time commitment. I wish I could find someone who wanted to do that so I could give them my feed bags. I would be even happier if my feed mill would switch to heavy paper or cloth.

yesterday I generated used duct tape that our floor installer used to tape the floor boxes together when he walked on them while he was working, and three chunks of glue - also from cardboard boxes (I put the boxes down under used bedding in the garden).

Yesterday I reduced my garbage by giving 13 unwanted slip casting molds away to other teachers. I also gave a broken plastic puzzle, some pretend coins, partly used watercolor sets, partly used oil pastels, and a baggie of plastic lids to the reuse store, where I purchased packaging free rubber stamps and paint brushes for my class to use this year.

and I introduced a new teacher to the store. She was so excited that she spent $13. They helped her out to her car.

i also ordered a piece of equipment I have been wanting for a long time. It was expensive because it is handmade in the USA using mostly sustainable materials, but I have been looking for a used one for TEN YEARS. I don’t think anybody gets rid of them, and if they do, it must be a quick private sale to a friend. Anyway, it came in mostly packaging I can recycle, compost, or reuse, except for four styrofoam corners and two little styrofoam rectangles. I wish they had used cardboard. Also there was tape. A lot of tape. Used tape is actually a big part of my trash because we order a lot of things online - including bulk food (my research shows that given where we live, this is actually more environmentally friendly than driving to the required stores.)

and dh and i ate out last night because we were we were both in town. The restaurant will throw away my used paper napkin and paper placemat.

i’m also Still using toilet paper (referencing the link in the first post)

One of the companies I order CBD oil from sends it in a cardboard box with peanuts inside. I was disappointed in the peanuts until I saw the little note included that said the peanuts would dissolve in water! I took one to try it out and it did indeed dissolve!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

If your husband is operating the vacuum then it’s just like a robot). Because we live in town we don’t order a ton online but it’s a real blessing for rural families. I do get my dog food online because I cannot find it in stores. Since we have gotten older we don’t buy much other than the necessities.

Thread Information