Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strategies for dealing with annoying people in groups?

I don’t deal well with people being late. My husband had that flaw when I met him but changed quickly when he realized I wouldn’t tolerate it. His mom would lie to him what time she needed a ride to the airport so she wouldn’t be late. The first time she did this we were way to early because of it. She told me why and I said those days of that crap are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don’t deal well with people being late. My husband had that flaw when I met him but changed quickly when he realized I wouldn’t tolerate it. His mom would lie to him what time she needed a ride to the airport so she wouldn’t be late. The first time she did this we were way to early because of it. She told me why and I said those days of that crap are over.
    I don't understand why being chronically late is a thing. It you have to be there BY 5 and know where you are going or even being pro strategic if you don't, then there shouldn't be a huge problem. 10 minutes..ok...but I have a SIL who is always at least 2 hours late. When she had babies, it was the kids fault, then it was a getting ready fault, always an excuse. I don't understand that. It's a basic, common skill, unless there is some issue reading time or judging distance or something. I never understand people late for work, who have been doing a job for at least a year. I also didn't tolerate it as as a Director and had to fire someone who was there 15 years because of it. Our department runs on the timeliness of people showing up. We did everything to accommodate her and she just never could make it, no matter what time you told her to come in. She requested to come in at 5 am to do early pick up and would show up at 6. Well, that throws off the productivity of the whole department, as she should have her pick up prepped by 7. She just thought I was a mean manager. Whatever.

Our relationship wouldn’t have lasted if he hadn’t changed. It tells me that my time isn’t important and neither am I. I won’t put up with it on a regular basis. Everyone loses track of time occasionally.

Our relationship wouldn’t have lasted if he hadn’t changed. It tells me that my time isn’t important and neither am I. I won’t put up with it on a regular basis. Everyone loses track of time occasionally.
    True! And life happens but the chronic ones, I don't understand.

I was rarely late for work. One day I wake up and can smell poop. I checked the pads but the smell followed me. After taking the dogs out, getting treats, making coffee I go to get dressed, look in the mirror and have poop in my bangs. My 5lb Maltese liked to sleep on top of my head. Occasionally poop would fall out when she was walking but never on me. I left my boss a message that I would be late and she would laugh because I had to take another shower. I usually showered at night.

I was rarely late for work. One day I wake up and can smell poop. I checked the pads but the smell followed me. After taking the dogs out, getting treats, making coffee I go to get dressed, look in the mirror and have poop in my bangs. My 5lb Maltese liked to sleep on top of my head. Occasionally poop would fall out when she was walking but never on me. I left my boss a message that I would be late and she would laugh because I had to take another shower. I usually showered at night.

HAHAHA! Poop bangs! I would put that down as one I have never heard! LOL

My choir director has a rule that if you’re not there and in your spot by the time the service begins, you have to stand in the congregation until after the sermon. Otherwise, late person is disruptive to choir members.

One gal was repeatedly late (this was before Covid). She was finally told that if she couldn’t be there for an entire service, she couldn’t sing. She was single with no kids and had no real reason for being late. She was just late. She told me she always makes it on time for work. If you’re on time for work but not in your personal life, what’s up with that? I know a ton of people like that! Irks me.

Usually there are psychological reasons, so it is one of those things that you protect your boundaries, but don't worry about why someone acts that way--you'll never know, and it hurts them a lot more than it hurts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    If you’re on time for work but not in your personal life, what’s up with that? I know a ton of people like that! Irks me.
    I know several people who are organized and punctual at work but just kind of a dumpster fire elsewhere. I never figured out what was up with that, either. Kind of like there's enough at stake at work that all their energy goes there and there's none left for the places that can't fire them. smh
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information