Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a "bucket list" for a senior dog?

SM, towards the end he couldn’t jump on the couch so sometimes would get in his bed and sleep with him despite a bad back and neck. I would be half on the doggie bed and my husband would wake me up to go to bed.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    SM, towards the end he couldn’t jump on the couch so sometimes would get in his bed and sleep with him despite a bad back and neck. I would be half on the doggie bed and my husband would wake me up to go to bed.
    Awwwww.

I bought our current sofa, an ugly pillow back sofa, which is in conflict with my aesthetic taste. But I can sleep on it when our bulldog can no longer go upstairs to bed, hence the reason I bought it.

IL, that’s great. We are truly crazy dog people)

And I thought that I was indulgent, you both have me beat.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Make every day great no matter the age. Before they get dementia and don't remember what they like, and just wander around and get stuck everywhere.

Make his last years healthy by looking into changing his diet, adding raw or fresh foods, cooking for him. Maybe you'll add a few extra years.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Make every day great no matter the age. Before they get dementia and don't remember what they like, and just wander around and get stuck everywhere.

Make his last years healthy by looking into changing his diet, adding raw or fresh foods, cooking for him. Maybe you'll add a few extra years.
    If Harlan gets dementia I am euthanizing him.

I give him lots of healthy foods! He loves veggies. haha

We didn’t give our dogs people food until it was obvious they were dying. Two of mine had dementia and were fine except they needed something to sleep. However, just like people they go from happy with a little help sleeping to restless and that’s when we let them go. You can definitely tell the difference.

Bulldogs don’t seem to get dementia, they die too soon. I am thinking that our eldest Frenchie probably had some dementia because she spent a great part of her day yapping mindlessly. At the time it didn’t occur to me it might be brain impairment. She had a fair amount of hearing loss and vision loss but that was a minor thing because her world was so small.

I almost lost my little dog yesterday. What we all thought was dementia is actually symptoms of a brain tumor (just like my previous dog, go figure). She seems fine, well, back to what's normal for her at the moment. An emergency, screaming, panicking dog visit to the vet revealed she's perfectly healthy except for something in her brain.

So I'm feeding her more food, since she loves to eat. Spending as much time as I can with her before I take ownership of my new pony (yeah, it's not even a month since my horse was euthanized but I'm miserable without one and the right one came along). Her time with me will be shared with the pony soon. Her fave things are eating and snuggling, so that's what we'll do until her time comes to an end.

Animals live in the moment so the only thing that matters to them is "now".

Thread Information