Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bad words.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am sure my ability to curb my sailor mouth had an effect on my career. I don’t care. I like the F word.
    The 'f' word is used so often by people who I overhear who seemingly cannot complete a coherent sentence about any topic except adding an 'f' word and a "ya know" that I see the 'f' word as a sign of illiteracy. This happened this morning when I was attending to a small garden in front of city hall. Some young people were sitting at a nearby picnic table being quite pleasant and sociable but the rambling conversations were peppered with the 'f' word and 'ya know'.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Bananas is offensive now too. Saying someone "went bananas" is apparently racist.

There's nothing wrong with any of those non-swear words. Don't make things worse by letting them convince you otherwise.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Bananas is offensive now too. Saying someone "went bananas" is apparently racist.
    Oppression against other ape species?

Forgive me if I'm skeptical of all this. I've been subjected to plenty of sensitivity training in my day, most of which managed to insult my intelligence, my integrity, or more usually both. But I've yet to see anything as inane as what's being described here.

The training was so popular that many people asked for it to be offered more times. I really think that this is the way things are going in higher education institutions. So I just need to adapt, whether I agree with all of it or not. I have to be a professional about this, and toe the line, so that I can keep my job and not put myself in professional peril.

The universities are truly the only benefactors I ever had. I need to keep in their good graces.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Oppression against other ape species?
    No, dig deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There's nothing wrong with any of those non-swear words. Don't make things worse by letting them convince you otherwise.
    I am not convinced. But I need to make a living and be a professional at work.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Forgive me if I'm skeptical of all this. I've been subjected to plenty of sensitivity training in my day, most of which managed to insult my intelligence, my integrity, or more usually both. But I've yet to see anything as inane as what's being described here.
    Do you mean just “bananas.” Or some of the other examples?

We were politely schooled here on this very site that the term “adopt” should be used exclusively for humans. To say “i adopted a 4 year old bulldog last week” is hurtful to the “adoption community,” and wrong.

If someone is hurt by a word, must we stop using it in that context? Always? Sometimes? When it has reached a critical mass of hurt people?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thread Information