Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Convenience foods”

“Convenience foods”

I realized when I was cooking dinner tonight that I now consider pre-ground pepper a “convenience food” as in, I was in a hurry and thought “oh heck, i’ll just use the pre-ground pepper”. Plain wheat bread is also on the list - buy it when I run short and don’t have time to bake.

my worst convenience foods are store bought hummus, chips, and cookies.

what are some things you consider convenience foods that others might not?

Fruit.

Shredded cheese.

Nuts
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    My supermarket sells eggs that are already boiled, which I have bought in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My supermarket sells eggs that are already boiled, which I have bought in the past.
    My mom likes these, but I would never buy them. Hard-boiled eggs are one of the only things I can cook, so I pride myself on my hard-boiled eggs, lol.

I'm not sure I follow how you define convenience food. I think of those as boxes and bags that contain chemicals/preservatives.

I buy organic pita chips. For me, these are cheap and not worth the time to source organic pita bread and bake them myself.

I buy hummus and black bean hummus. I don't think of these as convenience foods, but they fit your model.

I keep protein bars and protein shakes available for quick grab on busy days. Since I'm retiring in 33 hours, once this inventory is gone, I won't be replenishing this once it's all gone.

That's all I can find here.

Peanut butter.

So, I was thinking most everybody would say a protein bar is a convenience food. On the other end of the spectrum, while fruit us convenient, i’m Not sure how you class it as a convenience food unless you mean buying instead of growing your own.

peanut butter otoh, is one most people would not call a convenience food unless they normally (roast and?) grind their own.

I think one could take the question more than one way:
    What are your "grab and go" choices that aren't what most folks would consider a convenience food? (e.g. fruit)
    What is something you buy where someone already did the work for you, but you would more typically do yourself? (e.g. hard-boiled eggs, peanut butter)

Thread Information