Thread: can you medicate a cat

can you medicate a cat

into not whining!! OMG, I know he is 17 but I am kinda losing my mind. He is following me around and meowing, I literally gave him wet food 20 minutes ago. The litter box is clean and the water fresh. Plus he has been snuggling with me most of the night.

It usually seems to be food, he is not overweight but his appetite really increased the last few weeks. I am putting in wet food 3 - 4 times a day now and he is not eating the dry

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    into not whining!! OMG, I know he is 17 but I am kinda losing my mind. He is following me around and meowing, I literally gave him wet food 20 minutes ago. The litter box is clean and the water fresh. Plus he has been snuggling with me most of the night.

It usually seems to be food, he is not overweight but his appetite really increased the last few weeks. I am putting in wet food 3 - 4 times a day now and he is not eating the dry
    You can, I suppose. I am not sure I would give psych drugs to a cat. That just seems—excessive.

I am sure I won't either, mostly just frustrated this morning after doing my best to meet his needs. Sigh,

I think it comes with the age. My two cats will be 16 their next birthdays, (one in Jan and one in Mar), and their behavior has changed. One is doing what your cat is doing, he meows loudly, appears to want something, but like you I go through the list and he has dry food, wet food, fresh water, clean litter box etc. Sometimes what works is if I just sit down and then he gets up beside me/semi on me and that seems to satisfy him. Attention I guess. The other cat who has always been so laid back and very protective of the cat I just mentioned, even to the point of "mothering" him and standing back and letting him eat first, is acting different too. In the past few days he has starting growling and hissing when the other cat gets near. Almost like he doesn't recognize him. Then in a little while they might be face to face and the "hostile" cat is loving again, licking the other cat on the head! Then later on he is doing the hissing/growling thing again! I have been kind of at the end of my rope with this too, but they seem healthy and in no obvious pain. I really think it is aging going on with them.
    Last edited by Sad Eyed Lady; 7-25-19 at 5:43pm.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

2 of my dogs had dementia and I had to drug them to sleep at night. Just like people they would be restless at night.

Our cat (12-ish) whines seemingly for no reason (all food/water/litter needs taken care of)...mostly on weekends when we are "off routine." I think she keeps expecting us to leave and we don't.

Other times, she whines "for no reason" but if we stop what we're doing and go sit down, she'll come up for snuggling. That's all she wants. Five min. of that, then she goes to her own chair for a nap. Then our lives may continue on...
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

He doesn't like a lot of cuddling, I have been sitting in the chair encouraging him. He does like brushing so I do some of that every day. I wouldn't medicate him for convenience but I worry that he is in some kind of suffering. When I am back from retreat I will take him for a check up

Thread Information