Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: July-August 2019

Oakandbee: I love that you found a quilting group to take your quilt squares and fabric. I know how unfinished projects laying around the house can weigh on us. That must feel good.

I did another hour yesterday. New total: 22.5.

oakandbee
    Nice job, ejchase!

We have a big walk in closet that was originally a small bedroom. DH always manages over time to make it messy. So he is gone and I organized it and cleaned it. I threw a bunch of stuff away. I also found our big dogs life jackets and they are expensive so will put it up for sale. He didn’t know where he put it but I found it in the garage. I am washing it because it’s dirty. The big dog could swim but that way he could follow my son around a small lake and we didn’t have to worry as he got old.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Cleaned out my crafting closet. As a 40+ year quilter I had so many quilting projects planned I could never finish them in my lifetime. I bought two big bags of fabric to a quilter who heads a charity group. I put a big pile of patterns and books on the free table at my quilt guild. Gave some stuff to a retreat committee. Everyone was thrilled and I really cleaned out my closets. I have a shot at actually completing what I have left in my lifetime.

oakandbee
    Well done, Teacher Terry and flowerseverywhere!

I switched out our seasonal clothes and filled half a bagful for donation. I was able to consolidate all of our clothes into one dresser and put my dresser on Freecycle. Hooray! I keep focusing on getting rid of pieces of furniture since that means I have to deal with everything they contain.

DH and I finished the closets completely emptied one closet. Consolidated, gave away, threw away the contents. My closet is completely organized and not cluttered. DH going through his and doing great.

Next up, the books everywhere. I volunteer in the library used book rooms each week and I cannot resist when fabulous books go for fifty cents to a dollar. I already cleaned all my quilting and crafting books out, except for a select few. I have a very complicated Dear Jane quilt underway that has almost 6,000 pieces and if I just work on that I might finish it by summer. I have two other big projects started as well that I will only finish by the end of 2021 if I am persistent. I love that I can see any fabric or projects, everything is sorted in clear bins. It is like a weight coming off your shoulders and brings me much peace. The empty closet will now hold o gauge trains, puzzles and games neatly stored instead of jammed in every nook and cranny. We use the games a lot.

Flowers, you have accomplished a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Flowers, you have accomplished a lot.
    it is so freeing to be organized and not have to open a closet and feel overwhelmed. I want to pass things on to others who may need or want them and not leave a big mess for my kids. I also do tai chi, yoga and meditation which has a tremendous positive influence on my health, well being and serenity.

So impressive, flowerseverywhere!

I have been really scattered and stressed and finally realized part of it had to do with the shape of my house. Did 30 minutes tonight, which wasn't much, but I'm a little sick, and it's what I could manage. And it feels really good. New total: 23 hours.

I am now including my office at work in these 40 hours because the clutter there is as big a source of shame and stress as my clutter at home.

I tackled my desk at work today and cleared and dusted 3/4 of it. I'd love to keep going on it, but I have other high-priority projects to take care of.

In any case, I feel ten times better working at my desk now. It took just an hour. New total: 24.

Thread Information