Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: July-August 2019

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I want to say that this chunk of time approach is working well for me in my never-ending quest for a neater cellar. "Clean the cellar" is way too daunting, but "spend 30 minutes in the cellar and see what can be accomplished in that time" is very do-able. I'm not tracking the overall time but I'm definitely making progress and I think the approach has a lot to do with it.
    Yeah, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the timer method has changed my life. Many, many nights when I just can't face the mess, I say to myself, "Just do 15 minutes," and it gets me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I have made no progress whatsoever, but Rosa, your post is inspiring me to try the 30 minutes int he cellar, especially since DH is on vacation now and I have told him he has to help. We could do 30 minutes in cellar and 30 minutes in garage and 30 in one other room and we could get this place whipped into shape. But it has to be limited in time. Maybe 20, 20, and 20.
    My ex and I used to use the timer methods after we had a dinner party. We'd look at the mess in the kitchen and say, "Okay, let's do 15 minutes and leave the rest for the morning," but it's amazing what two people can do in 15 minutes. Many things about our relationship didn't work, but that did!

30 minutes on Friday and 30 minutes tonight. New total: 28.

EJ: You are living proof that those small increments of time can amount to something significant!
    I spent about an hour in the cellar on Sat cleaning out the wine rack and surrounding area. Dumped out several bottles of wine, which felt like a crime, but it was stuff we don't like or had gone bad or both and there was no value in keeping it. There was also a lot of dust and remnants of mouse activity - little piles of sunflower seed shells and droppings, yuck. This small space looks so much cleaner and tidier that it makes me happy when I walk by and look at it.

Husband has agreed to 20/20/20 schedule but was not enthusiastic. My back went out yesterday, so we haven't started yet.
    But maybe today we can figure out a way to begin. And use the timer, thanks ejchase, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    EJ: You are living proof that those small increments of time can amount to something significant!
    I spent about an hour in the cellar on Sat cleaning out the wine rack and surrounding area. Dumped out several bottles of wine, which felt like a crime, but it was stuff we don't like or had gone bad or both and there was no value in keeping it. There was also a lot of dust and remnants of mouse activity - little piles of sunflower seed shells and droppings, yuck. This small space looks so much cleaner and tidier that it makes me happy when I walk by and look at it.
    It is important to keep your wine and alcohol collection current and useful, so no shame in dumping the stuff that you won’t use.

Did another hour. New total: 29.

Also, the handyman came this week and took care of a bunch of little things: installed a new outdoor light and installed a water filter in the kitchen sink. Next week he'll come back and put up a new mailbox. Feels so good to have things getting done.

30 more minutes on Tuesday. New total: 29.5.

1 more hour last Tuesday which I forgot to record. New total: 30.5.

Two more hours yesterday. New total: 32.5.

Thread Information