Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First baby dread

First baby dread

I have so wanted dreads and decided to try and make them on retreat. I made a baby one hidden in my hair to start. It doesn't always seem like the best idea but at 52 I just feel like looking the way I choose.

we will see, and maybe wearing scarves during the process,

I think SiouzQ has been happy with her dreads. Do you still have them, SiouzQ?

I remember that she has them. I was thinking for my lifestyle of going on retreat and having limited shower time it could be really good. My retreat starting Saturday has 30 people and 2 showers so that is 2, maybe 3 showers for the time.

How would dread locks be viewed by the administration where you work or by the parents who send their kids? I am older than you and would still find them incredibly strange on a professional. Much like an administrator covered in tattoos on the neck or knuckles.

Is this just a little like thumbing your nose at convention? Would your life actually be more complex relationship wise with them and having to address comments and looks and such?

Even the African American community is still dealing with the issue of natural hair in work and other professional areas.

I expect some challenge. In daily life outside of work I deeply don't care about what people think of my appearance. With work i may cover them in some way. I am not going to do my bangs which helps.

My daughter has rainbow dreads and she is a target manager. My son has them down to his waist and is an assistant manager at a grocery store. I am in a more conservative area but Colorado and Denver are accepting overall

Yes, I still have the dreads! Every spring I go down to Albuquerque to the one salon that can do maintenance on them - I get them tightened from the top and then I have her cut about 5 inches off. Once they reach the waistband of my jeans that means it is time to lop some off. They get awfully heavy and hot after a while!

I just recently returned from my trip back to Michigan in which I actually went to my 40th high school reunion. It's fun to walk into something like that with a devil-may-care confidence (which I did NOT have during high school) and to own being the "real" me. I could tell some had no idea how to take it but others gave me compliments on the hair-do. For me it is such a matter of convenience. I hate having short hair because I hate having to style it and my hair is so frizzy and curly that dreads absolutely make sense for me.

Thanks SQ, well i didn't comb my hair for my entire retreat so that was over a week. It still didn't really take. So i am washing but not combing and putting a headband on. I still have bangs combed out. I think it may take a little longer to get them going.

I should tell my son to get someone to fix his up. They are down to his waist and hard to put up for work. He has been talking about getting them trimmed

So curious you just shampoo like normal?

I’m still reading the title of this post as if someone is dreading becoming a parent for the first time 😄

From the title, I thought you were dreading/fearing having the first grandbaby. (babysitting or such, with your housing status)

Thread Information