Thread: Hearing devices

Hearing devices

are there any frugal alternatives to hearding aids that work? I've researched online but do not trust reviews on Amazon. thanks

I did the research about 6-7 years ago and verified it when the first aids needed replacing after 3 years and found nothing. I keep hoping technology in that field will meet the need. Please post anything positive that you do learn about.
    Has a a hearing test been done by an audiologist? The best price for hearing aids that I have heard about is from Costco.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I did the research about 6-7 years ago and verified it when the first aids needed replacing after 3 years and found nothing. I keep hoping technology in that field will meet the need. Please post anything positive that you do learn about.
    Has a a hearing test been done by an audiologist? The best price for hearing aids that I have heard about is from Costco.
    No hearing test. I have also heard about Costco. If he orders a device from Amazon I will let you know what happens.

Razz, your hearing aids only lasted 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Razz, your hearing aids only lasted 3 years?
    Not much more than that. I started having major problems hearing anything on the phone and some other issues that I have forgotten. The improvements over that time were significant. They are a costly item so fortunately I have benefits that help a lot.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I heave hearing loss but am not ready to do anything about it. Cost isnt an issue, I just have doubts that it would work in the situations I need it to work.

I maintain a landline for a major reason of having better transmissions of sound. But by the time I get foreign born customer service reps who talk to me thru their tinny, static laiden cell phone, I think “why bother?”

DH has hearing loss, especially high frequencies, so he can't understand women with high, soft voices. Or if he puts something in the microwave I have to let him know it's beeping. He bought hearing aids but never took the time to get used to them. They weren't the most expensive, but they weren't cheap either. My MIL was the same--couldn't hear, but couldn't get used to the hearing aids.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My hearing loss is in the higher frequencies as well. I was missing my birdsongs which was very disappointing. I do hear them now.

Hearing loss impacted and still does, my life; if a number of voices are talking, I am lost. I have had to withdraw from some activities where the voices keep rising as the hearing aids magnify everything despite some efforts to technologically limit the extent.

Hearing loss is a lot like first learning to read and sound out words. If, when reading, one can sound the first letter and the last, one can often say the word. In hearing loss, quite often one cannot make out the first letter of the word spoken especially if 'f', 's', 'sh' or 'th'. I tell people that if they are changing the subject completely they have to take me with them or I will have no way of filling in the blanks between the first letter and the last without knowing which familiar words to listen for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    No hearing test. I have also heard about Costco. If he orders a device from Amazon I will let you know what happens.
    So no hearing test, because you hear?

I know in my family, there is hearing loss in ranges, due to being around things/machines/etc. I suspect I have some, as well as what I have read is normal hearing loss (as you get older, you already lose range).
    So unless a device converts all sounds to something the other senses can use (read on your phone, etc), or you have some sort of surgery/implant that bypasses damage, the best you could probably do is things like closed caption, wear something like shooting muffs, that allow you to hear speech, but take out loud noises, etc.

Yppej
    I got my dad a captioned phone and it helps, but we have a bigger vocabulary than it does.

Thread Information