Thread: papers please...

papers please...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/julia...b0a6329e177fbb

or maybe this thread should be titled "white privelege v. 463" Unlike the person in this story, or the high school aged US citizen in Texas that spent 3 weeks in ICE custody I have absolutely no fear that I will suffer the same fate as these unfortunate individuals since I get sunburns and have blue eyes.

I can't wait to hear the justification of this from our republican/trump fanboys. Or at least their, "oh, this isn't a big deal, blah blah blah."

Yppej
    Happens all the time. I had a job years ago working for a public school system as a substitute teacher. Although it was the law citizenship must be proven to the employer they never asked. I am a citizen but born in Canada. Meanwhile they were asking this of employees born in Puerto Rico which is part of the U.S.

Disgusting!

I'm as white as the neighbors.....and an immigrant. No one has asked for my naturalization papers except when i needed a passport in 2016.

A friend of mine here observed this in even our edge-condition progressive community yesterday:

"Rant. As an African American that lives on Orcas Island, I was reminded today how people of color can still be a novelty on the island. And also how a person's privilege can make them oblivious to their rudeness, and prejudice.

So, I am eating at the Island Skillet this morning, and an older gentleman who says he lives on the island says to the waitress, "where is your accent from?" I cannot hear her respond. He says, "It sounds Hispanic. I guess I will not need to call the INS [Immigration and Naturalization Service]. And he chuckles as if his remark was harmless, complementary or a joke.

Addition: I am headed to Island Hoppin this evening. If I offended anyone, it was not my intent. I will own my impact, however, and gladly listen and attempt to understand your opinions over a beer. This conversation is definitely needed on Orcas Island if we are truly going to be an inclusive and welcoming community."

I am a Democrat who knows we don't have to carry citizenship papers with us. However, this particular case isn't so cut and dried. The kid was riding in a car with 2-4 Mexican citizens in the country illegally. This is why he was detained (along with the rest of the people in the car). Later, it was noted that his birth certificate carried a false name, and he had other government paperwork indicating he was here on a visa rather than an American citizen.

In MO, we are not "real id" compliant. It is my belief in part, due to our natural distrust and the government wanting a nationally searchable ID is a first step, we don't want to be a part of.

Thread Information