Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Prime - please tell me about this

Amazon Prime - please tell me about this

I placed an Amazon order today and got a 30 day trial of Prime. I almost didn't and then decided to find out what it was all about. I will stay on top of the cancellation time.

That said, what are the benefits of Prime for the $7.99/mth? Are these really free - unlimited Prime reading and Prime video? What has been your experience? Pros and Cons? I am not normally an online shopper or do much shopping in general but needed a playpen for my little beagle that was light, portable and easy to use. The price was amazing. TIA
    Last edited by razz; 7-27-19 at 2:27pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Since I order almost everything that isn't groceries--and not a small number of grocery items--from Amazon, I feel it's worth it to me. I occasionally watch videos and borrow an ebook as well. I would look around to see if it's a good deal for you.

I have an Amazon prime membership. I don’t know that it’s worth it for their “free shipping” because there are other times you can get free shipping through Amazon, and also not all vendors have the free shipping option.

I do like it for access to streaming videos. The selection is decent. Not the great stuff, but enough to keep me interested.

I don’t use it for e-books because I buy my e-books. I suspect the selection for free ebooks isn’t good unless you will use classics and titles no longer covered by copyright.

I really like Prime because of the free shipping and also the video. I've purchased annual memberships for several years now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I always bundle my purchases together to get free shipping. I don't have prime.

We order enough from amazon that it’s worth it for us. An additional perk is that Star Trek discovery is on this service so we can see that also.

We had it for several years and I got tired of ordering things that ended up being cheap Chinese junk so canceled. And always a concern about counterfeit stuff like refrigerator water filters. Then a month ago, I got sucked into a free 30 day trial when I clicked the wrong button. We will do one more month at $12.95 to check out the streaming options but then I will cancel as I don't really see any benefit unless one orders a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I always bundle my purchases together to get free shipping. I don't have prime.

Same here. I was offered it once, when I ordered a part for work and Amazon was the only place that actually had it in stock at the time. Prime caused several of us, the advantage of not having to see a chiropractor (using a piece of equipment, long term, that is low for taller people).
    There are some video's, that are ONLY available on prime (sucks, because Good Omen's, interests me, buy no other option). Books, I tend to find used paperbacks, cheaper then Ebooks on Amazon, and think I saw ONE, that was free with prime (and reviews said it wasn't worth it).
    Two day shipping, means people tend to order more, and their mailmen get to hating them.
    One family member has prime and says if any of the family need something, let them know and they will get it delivered to their house.

We had it for several years and I got tired of ordering things that ended up being cheap Chinese junk so canceled.
    An advantage of Amazon used to be that if you looked hard you could find stuff that wasn't cheap Chinese junk unlike the big box stores (just due to much greater selection). But lately it's getting harder and harder to find such, it's all junk, why bother.

So advantages, gee I don't know, I've never paid for it, but occasionally taken a free month. Well you can get a discount at Whole Foods market, but quality has dropped there a lot since being acquired by amazon (I''ve gotten a rotten avocado, moldy blackberries, and lamb with strange stuff in it since then). I used to be decent quality if pricey, now it's more tending toward just pricey but low quality.
    Trees don't grow on money

The only time I have Prime is when they offer me a free month. I am enjoying a free month right now but it will end early August. This is the 2nd time I have used the free month when offered. Like you, OP, I wanted to stay on top of the cancellation date but as I recall last time they actually sent me a reminder that it was about up. So that was nice.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information