Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    You are right about Charlotte's Web. I stand corrected, but in my defense I did not say that the medical promises are bogus, just overstated. I'd still hold to the idea that a lot of people use cannabis for a whole rage of ailments, and that at least some of the positive results are due to the placebo effect or that the person is just high. I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm. Since the various government research places have had trouble even possessing pot to do research up until recently, therefore there is a lot yet to be learned or verified.

Matter of fact, I'd say if UL wants to try it to improve his mental attitude, it's probably a whole lot safer than anything a doctor might prescribe. I've come to think of pot as a whole lot better for a person and a society than alcohol, but it has an unjustifiable social stigma. When it comes to alcohol, I've seen the needle and the damage done. But they are both drugs and both have some associated health risks and they both can impair a clear thought process.
    Placebo--the very best kind of drug, IMO. No side effects but relief.
    To mangle Voltaire "The job of the physician is to keep the patient occupied while the body heals itself."

And i agree that alcohol and opiates are much more destructive. Alcohol seems to be a sacrament among much of the middle class, which bodes no good for future health outcomes. And where opioids face tacit disapproval, alcohol is roundly celebrated.

A friend of mine, a fellow teetotaler, went to Alberta for a vacation recently. She tried cannabis there for her migraines. She was with her boyfriend. He gave her two edibles and she freaked out. She apparently alternated between laughing hysterically and an crying all over the place. She also told her boyfriend all her secret fears about him -- like that he would never propose.

She said that emotionally it was like her own personal hell.

But it immediately wiped away the migraine!

Sounds like an overdose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Sounds like an overdose to me.
    I thought it was impossible to OD on cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I thought it was impossible to OD on cannabis.
    Physically, but too much can give someone a something like a bad trip, especially for someone whose not tried it much. It's been it's been warned about in the news papers here, i think mostly as emergency room visits for panic attacks. From what little I know about the candies, they taste good and go down easy, but one or a half is often the usual dose.

I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm.
    This made me laugh. DH used to be a daily pot smoker back in the day. Back then, I noted that it seemed to be a motivation killer. He gave it up over a decade ago and has not increased alcohol consumption - now a very moderate drinker - a couple of beers on the weekend or an occasional glass of red wine. The smell of current weed makes us both wretch since our neighbors on two sides smoke their little pipes in the backyard.

Yes, much of my pot observations are from the '70's scene, but I think there may be some who have been given the impression that it is harmless. There may not be too many adverse physical issues, but a person can still grow dependent or otherwise abuse it. I think there are some behavioral changes for people who use it routinely and a big one is demotivation. I suspect it is the reason why my college room mate took ten years to get a bachelor's degree. I think any impressions that it makes one smarter or more creative are mostly illusion while under the influence.

I have a friend who supplies his 92 year old mother with infused gummy bears with her doctors permission. As the account goes she has one before bedtime and has been able to sleep well and has been able to quit her pre bedtime pain medication. I suppose it has some value either medically or for infrequent recreational use.

I'd find that neighbors who use it outside routinely offensive, too!

I go back and forth about trying it when it becomes legal here.

One the one hand, I am tired of never havin' no fun!

On the other hand, I don't want it to change me.

Well, it is now legal in Canada and neither I nor my kids nor my peers can see why anyone would want to try it. What is wrong with being oneself and comfortable with oneself? If it is used as a pain med in lieu of some other pain-relieving drug, it may make sense. I would prefer to go 'nature bathing' in the woods or trails.
    I am a teetotaler and cannabis is just another drug. Yes, it stinks as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I didn't like it when I tried it as a teenager or young adult, and so I wouldn't smoke it or eat it, but legalization is certainly coming, so if someone wants to use it, that's fine.

I don't think it will make anyone have more fun, unfortunately.

Thread Information