Thread: Procrastination

Procrastination

I often amaze myself with the amount of decluttering I accomplish when I should be doing something else. While I was organizing files to pass on for a volunteer job, I completely cleared off my desk, did my personal filing, and purged 3 files. I also went through the office supplies and pulled out a large stack to pass on to a teacher friend. After several hours of work, the volunteer files were finally complete. I delivered them this afternoon.

Then this evening I realized it was not really procrastination- it was a very strong need for "something for me" - this volunteer job was draining and without joy or satisfaction for me. So I made sure I accomplished tasks for me while finishing up those files.

Now I need to think about other instances like this, what was I needing, or what do I really want? It's a more kind and positive look at my own behavior. I'm liking it!

Any one else see themselves in similar situations?

Yep, my kitchen counters need a thorough clearing periodically of stuff that is sorted but in individual piles. I will invite some friends for a meal, BBQ etc and cards to give myself the push to tidy up. I chuckle at myself for needing this push but it works every time. Other rooms need the same clearing but I need a different motivation like overnight company.
    With files etc., I have a 'to do' list that helps me finally get them completed. Reminds me, today, being really warm, would be a good day to complete the bylaws that I have been amending and add the new revisions the Board agreed to include.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hahaha! I finished a small quilt while putting off a particularly difficult tax calculation--it resembled a baby quilt, so i named it "Tax Deduction."

My house was never so clean and the cookies never so fresh as during exam week in nursing school.

Will answer later!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My house was never so clean and the cookies never so fresh as during exam week in nursing school.
    With me it was writing papers—I cleaned and organized rather than write the papers due for college.

Now, it is flower show designs—Unless I am inspired, I clean and organize rather than put togehter the floral designs.

Ah, yes, writing papers...but that was different, sort of... I’d clean my apartment while I was planning and thinking about my paper... no music... then sit down to the typewriter and literallly download a finished paper.

I needed to to make good use of my time, as I worked full time all of my undergrad years... and I wanted to come home to a clean apartment, every 10 weeks, after I turned in those final papers.

Thread Information