Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diderot Effect and athleisure

Diderot Effect and athleisure

Buying one thing that leads to the purchase of more is the basic premise of the Diderot Effect.

I resisted the athleisure trend for years. I was a jeans and tailored tee shirt/sweater kind of person. My weight hasn't changed (I'm in the middle of my healthy weight range) but I'm 65 and somewhat arthritic, so I purchased some stretchy yoga pants which called for loose drapey tops to go with them.

They were so comfortable, I didn't want to wear anything else. So I bought more. Now I have a nice capsule wardrobe of a few pairs of black and dark blue yoga pants with tees for summer and sweaters for winter.

However, I still have my tailored clothes and really need to part with them but am having a hard time. They still look good on me, but honestly, some of the sweaters are so heavy they make my shoulders hurt just looking at them. Blazers too. The jeans still fit but seem restricting after wearing the yoga pants.

I know the sensible answer is to keep a few and part with the rest. Just having trouble figuring out which ones.

Anyone else going through this? What did you do?

Same as you.... Since retiring it seems like if we are out it is fairly dressy or not at all. I work out every morning so I really embraced the type of work out clothes that can also take you around town. Oh the freedom!!! I have two pairs of jeans that have not seen my legs in three years. We do a lot of traveling and I discovered ponte knit leggings and travel pants from Eddie Bauer. All so much more comfortable (and fashionable) than jeans.

Beware of the forgiving, stretchy quality of yoga pants. Heck YES your jeans seem “restricting after wearing yoga pants.” That is what God intended when he made pants with unforgiving waistlines. They remind you about calorie intake. Haha.

Take it from one who knows—yoga pants wearer with expanding waistline.

I got rid of most of the clothes I didn’t wear once I retired.

I keep two blazers, two pants, two skirts and maybe 5 nice tops for client-facing stuff. I'd keep even less if it weren't for the fact that sometimes I'm on the road with the same client for 5 days. Not sure how many of you had an unspoken "5 day" rule, but in high school, I stuck by wearing a different outfit Monday through Friday. I could NOT wear the same thing in the same week, but I could wear the outfit I wore on Friday the following Monday.

I carried it on in my warlike, but that wasn't good enough apparently, for my QVC addict colleague who once pointed out, when I showed her a $600 sweater in a Bergdorf catalog, that that sum probably represented the cost of my whole wardrobe. That was true, and I was proud of it.

So I still am very conscious of never duplicating an outfit in the same workweek (unless I'm home, in which case it's athleisure all the way every day).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wore the same shirt twice in a week in junior high and a nasty girl talked loudly and publicly about whether I washed my clothing in between wearing it.

For years I was self conscious about wearing anything in the same week.

Then I finally decided I no longer give a shit and wish I could have felt that way immediately. I could have loudly and publicly told the nasty girl that it’s none of damn business.

I just went on a two week vacation, of which 7 days was a cruise. I took 3 pants, 5 tops, one pair of shoes. Wore things several times each. It all fit in a backpack. Customs was so easy - I had to go through customs 4 times. I figured I could send things out to be laundered if needed - but amazingly it was not needed. We had cool weather the whole time.

I finally don’t give a shit. Woo hoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I finally don’t give a shit. Woo hoo!!!
    Sums me up perfectly! As an OR Nurse, I wore the same thing in for a whole week. Why on earth wouldn't I? Had to shove it in a locker and put on scrubs every day for 38 years.

I'll probably need to acquire a few more things now that I have to wear my own clothes 24/7. Retired: day 1

Yppej
    Congrats Gardnr!

Hey, Gardnr!
    Breathe easy now.

Speaking as a retired guy, "Loose Fit" black Wool Socks are an amazing deal. Maybe they cost a lot up front... $16 a pair at Abelman Clothing (in Bessemer MI since 1887). But I can go indefinitely on 2 pairs. At the end of the day, I wash out the day's socks in the sink, wring them manually, and hang them to air dry. Each morning a dry pair of socks is waiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Sums me up perfectly! As an OR Nurse, I wore the same thing in for a whole week. Why on earth wouldn't I? Had to shove it in a locker and put on scrubs every day for 38 years.

I'll probably need to acquire a few more things now that I have to wear my own clothes 24/7. Retired: day 1
    Love it! Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information