Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you know a hermit?

Do any of you know a hermit?

It seems I do, now.

My ex-husband lives off the grid in Maine. I just spoke to him this past weekend and had not talked to him in a year or so. He had an old flip phone he buys "timecards" for and it had quit (the speaker wore out, he said). So when a "neighbor" (5 miles away) was helping him set it up, she found a message on it from me "from June."

It was June of 2017. Right after my mom died.

He told me more about his living conditions than he had told me before. He has no electricity, but has solar panels and a generator. He goes to the store once a month. His floor is unfinished. He doesn't have a bathroom or shower.

He used to be a great outdoorsman and guy who could build or fix anything (he's 65 in Oct). Now he says he pretty much stays in and reads all the time. The only time he says he can be comfortable outside is September because the deer flies are gone and the moose flies aren't there yet. He's given up hunting because 1- he would rather just look at them and 2- if he did kill a deer or moose, he'd have to haul it back to the cabin in butt-deep snow and his back and feet are bad.

He was in the VA for 5 days last winter he said, with pneumonia, bronchitis and congestive heart failure. His family knew none of this. (We have two daughters and he has a brother here locally.)

He says it's 3 hr. to the VA and there are no clinics who will take cash. He has no insurance, so the clinics within an hour will not see him.

He finally gave me the number of his neighbor so that if we stop hearing from him again I can call and ask about him. I asked him to give her my number but I don't know if he will.

He finally told me he still likes where and how he's living because "I don't see any people."

I guess I should feel privileged that he talked to me for about an hour that day. :-/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    He doesn't have Medicare?

No I don't know any hermits or recluses. It is interesting to try to understand what motivates this choice. Some do it for religious or spiritual reasons, some are just tired of the scramble and tensions with other human beings and others ?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My immediate response was "So?"
    I wouldn't live without electricity or running water, but that's his choice.

Yes, my county is Hermit Central.

I sort of knew one. We'd ride the school bus by his gate when I was young. He was mean and packed a gun at all times. I hated riding my horse by his property if I was going over to a friends on the other side road. I knew he was a vet who didn't like people. He had a few old school buses made into a hut of sorts and a pack of dogs. In fact if I remember right that is how they figured out he had passed away. The dogs started hunting neighbors cows and pigs and the sheriff had to put down the dogs in order for the county to look for his body. Not sure how long he'd been dead.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

No. He should have Medicare.

Wow floatOn.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    He doesn't have Medicare?
    Not yet. He should be applying, but he thinks he's just gonna get it somehow. It's hard to explain things to him when his mind is made up.

Not only is he not going to get it but will be penalized for life for not applying on time.

Thread Information