Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Gun Violence Continued: Ritchie German with shotgun, handgun and handcuffs...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am not normally a TV watcher but on occasions when I am considering a Netflix film or flipping through network channels...I am amazed at the level of violence. At some point, it sure went over the edge. I can't even imagine young, developing minds watching that stuff.
    Indeed. And that's not to mention the gamers who entertain violent adolescent gun play fantasies daily.

As good as some of the ideas sound, realistically the best I can hope for is universal background checks and standardization of conceal carry permits across the different states. However, until the drivers of the bus change or the NRA stops dropping millions into conservative issues and candidate support, I suspect a month or months from now nothing meaningful will have happened.

Maybe we should look at how other countries handle all the mass shootings caused by video games and mental illness and violent movies and domestic abuse perpetrators and try to emulate them. Since no other civilized country has anywhere near the amount of mass killings they must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe we should look at how other countries handle all the mass shootings caused by video games and mental illness and violent movies and domestic abuse perpetrators and try to emulate them. Since no other civilized country has anywhere near the amount of mass killings they must be doing something right.
    What do other nations do?

Marksmanship is highly regarded in Switzerland. Compulsory military service for all able-bodied males results in near-universal firearms training in the vast majority of Swiss households. I understand that it is usual for Swiss men to have permits to continue to own their military-issued rifle, but it is conditional on annual approval by the popularly elected local (cantonal) government. I understand that alcoholism, drug abuse, domestic violence, criminal acts, or certain mental health problems would be grounds for revocation or non-renewal of an individual's permit.

Swiss society is diverse, in terms of the 3 official language groups. Compulsory military service has a tendency to create male bonds across linguistic and cultural differences... lasting friendships in their "band of brothers" ... thus military service tends to foster unity and understanding.

I have never lived in Switzerland. From what I have read, the Swiss have little to fear in terms of gun violence in their home country.

So the gun used in the Gilroy massacre came from a gun dealer in Nevada. They are having a fundraiser anticipating they will be sued and asking people to donate. How ridiculous! That should be one of their costs of doing business.

News today is that T is backing off any gun control measures and is focusing instead on mental illness. That was almost predictable.

He said we need more more “mental institutions” for all those mental people who pull the trigger.

The USSR had lots of those.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Even if all the “mentally ill” were incarcerated and we just played Pac-Man and watched Leave it to Beaver guess what? People would still die from gunshots in the US. I have asked many people who are against ainy kind of gun control what the solution is of our out of control murder rate and I have yet to hear one.

After years of listening to the NRA supporters fret that Obama and Hillary were going To declare martial law and take your guns Trump and McConnell might be the ones to do it. Ha ha. Wouldn’t that be funny.

I read an interesting factoid this morning. You are three times more likely to die choking on food than you are to die in a mass shooting.

Dare I call it food for thought?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I read an interesting factoid this morning. You are three times more likely to die choking on food than you are to die in a mass shooting.

Dare I call it food for thought?
    And a child is more likely to die drowning in a backyard swimming pool than by gunshot wound.

But some things are under our control, and others aren't. We may not be able to outlaw ham sandwiches or swimming pools, but we can still create reasonable safeguards to prevent unnecessary deaths. Look how many deaths seat belt laws prevented.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information